What was first thing you learned to cook

The first thing I learned to cook (that is, the first thing that people liked) was my mom's baby red potatoes. Potatoes, onions, butter, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and parsley. They are a hit.

I'd have to guess it was fried bologna sandwiches at Grandma's house. No idea how old I'd have been, but pretty young - had to stand on a step-stool at the stove. Also remember making corn meal mush around the same time period.

I found cooking bologna across the slots of the toaster worked very well. After a few days of this, I also learned how to scrub (for many minutes) the top of the toaster slots..
Ed

I would imagine toast, but I definitely remember cooking my "World Famous" Beenie Weenies. My mom made me feel like a world class chef the way she would brag about them. Literally pork n beans, hot dog, ketchup and brown sugar, but she made it seem 1st class.

Very first thing? Donno. Probably "helping" to make cookies.

First breakfast? Waffles.

First lunch? Toasted cheese sammich with plastic wrapped cheese, cooked so that the cheese burned (ummm, heavy caramelization).

First dinner? Rice A Roni Beef Stroganoff made in an electric skillet.

Bruce

I can't remember but I do remember that when I was about 12 years old Me and my brother were expected to have supper ready when Mom and Dad got home from work. If we were having biscuits, I made them. If we were having cornbread, my brother baked it in a cast iron skillet. We had to make a whole meal with meat and vegetables.

Back