What was first thing you learned to cook

Homemade hamburgers. Then hot dogs, then chicken on the brick pit in the back yard with pecan limbs. Then liver cheese on saltines with a little Blue Plate. We’ll that wasn’t really cooking, just a great midnight snack.

Pasta.

I remember when I was a little kid and my parents would let us help knead the Pasta Dough. They would alway have a small piece of dough for my brother and I to practice
using the Matterello.

To this day, I still make homemade pasta on a weekly basis.
My Mattarello is one of my most favorite toys and no is allowed to touch it without me
being there.

Mine was French toast. My family was big on cooked breakfasts growing up and it was my favorite. My Father worked a lot of hours, but he was always there to make breakfast in the morning so he taught me how. Great memories.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I don’t remember cooking much growing up — my mom pretty exclusively handled that duty. I was in Indian Guides with my dad but rather than cooking a hot dog on a stick he’d bring C-rations. So I guess heating up one of those is probably the first thing I remember.

The scout leaders did make doughnuts at a camp one time using pillsbury biscuit dough. We were so excited to show my mom how it worked that we filled up a sauce pan with oil and sat there waiting for it to boil before dropping in the dough — having no idea that it doesn’t do that until there is food in there. Finally, losing patience we decided to see if it was hot enough and dropped on in. As everyone here would expect, it immediately burst into flame as soon as it hit the oil. I was able to get a lid on it before my dad moved it to the sink to pour water on it but my mom had seen enough — we were both banished.

Not sure I cooked anything else until college. Don’t think she’s let my dad use anything beyond the toaster and microwave ever.

Other than plain toast in the cast iron skillet or a can of Campbell's soup, the next step up in my culinary skills was an Egg in the Basket, which was bread with the center cut out with a Goober Grape glass and egg put in that hole and cooked in the cast iron skillet. Some folks refer to that as a Toad in the Hole which it is not, as that is a separate English dish entirely.

The next thing I cooked was (all of this was in the time frame the of summer I turned 8 years old) Refrigerator Cookies (that was the name on the recipe card) or more commonly called No Bake Cookies. I made those several times a week that summer for my brother, cousin (they were both a year younger than me) and I.

Thanks,

Robert

Mid 70's - pre microwave - single mom worked all the time and I had 3 brothers. Didn't take long to get sick of sandwiches. We boys got to be fair cooks pretty quickly.

Think my first was pan fried potatoes, bacon and onions in a cast iron skillet.

Still love them to this day.

Oh boy, my first cook was probably around 1970, so no memory of the actual "first time", but I'll guess and say Toast. After that, it was probably fried bologna. I would cut from the center of the bologna out to the edge so it would cook flat.

Cupcakes, from when I was in primary school in Sydney in the early 60's. The downside was having to do a massive washup, as my mother only washed up once a week, so it was 20 mins to make the cakes, 3 hours to do the week's dishes. Very strange upbringing.

I helped out a lot in the kitchen, and mom is an excellent cook. But the first thing I remember cooking start to finish (and having to clean up) was omelettes. Usually pepper and onions with cheddar or swiss cheese. Occasionally I would find some air cured pepperoni or mushrooms to add.

I always enjoyed helping and watching Mom cook. Have always been a big fan of breakfast, I guess I got that from my Dad. Anyway toast and a ham and cheese omelet when I was six and everyone was still sleeping. Just picked it up by watching.

I had a charlie brown cookbook, and my favorite thing to make out of it was....
you took a pices of toast, sliced a hot dog in half then cut in half them slice of cheese then in the broiler.. think i was like 8

The first thing I remember cooking on my own was taking French bread and turning it into a pizza for a family dinner. That must have been sometime in high school. My real turning point in cooking is when I discovered I can make food as spicy as I want. I still love heat. Still a driving factor in most of my cooks.

Probably eggs.

But my most vivid memory is cooking 2 whole hogs helping my Dad when I was a wee little Farker. Seasoning and basting was my job throughout the night staying up drinking Pepsi in a glass bottle.

Tough question. :grin:
I have early memories of cooking over a campfire. Mostly bacon and eggs.
Also making biscuits and bread.
Stuffing crawfish heads for bisque...
and what I call "busy work".. pulling vinegar taffy. Mom would make a batch of taffy, we would butter our hands and start pulling as soon as it was cool enough to handle. Kept us busy and out of her way. (on the rare occasion we were stuck indoors for the day). :laugh:

I'm not sure I remember the first thing I cooked, but I remember one of the first things that I failed at cooking lol.

I was attempting to make a fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a griddle in our kitchen. Something I had seen my mother make numerous times. Buttered one side of the bread, put it on the griddle, slathered peanut butter on one piece and jelly on the other. Once the one side was done, I flipped both pieces onto the griddle. Yes - peanut butter and jelly directly onto the hot griddle. The smoke was pretty much immediate!

Crazy the things we remember from childhood!

I had a charlie brown cookbook, and my favorite thing to make out of it was....
you took a pices of toast, sliced a hot dog in half then cut in half them slice of cheese then in the broiler.. think i was like 8

GOOD GRIEF!! Charlie Brown taught you to use a broiler when you were 8 years old? Holy fire alarm, Charlie!

Back