What to do after a major grease fire...

I had the same pit as you bout 8 years ago. Got tired of not being able to walk away for 30 minutes without something going wrong, even with mods that everyone said would make this a great pit. Then I built a drum. It was what I had dreamed of. A dirt cheap rig that I could let chug away til the food was done. Even if that meant over 20 hrs without touching a thing. Make a drum.

Buy a BGE. Battle proven to survive the worst of fires.

I was cooking 60 ABTs (on 2 grid levels, 60 slices of bacon with a drip pan to catch the bacon grease) on my Large BGE and towards the end of my cook I opened up the vents a little too much. The temperature got over 600° and lit the bacon grease, when I opened up the top, all that fresh air hit and holy grease flaming fireball! :mad2:

I had good gloves and pulled the top lavyer of ABTs off and saved them but the bottom layer were gone, completely vaporized! I shut down the vents and put the fire out and the BGE survived just fine.

Building a UDS is hardly ambitious. Gather up the parts, and you can build in the morning and cook in the afternoon for less than $100. Then save up some cash for a new-to-you pit!

After I started doing more maintenance than grilling/smoking on my Char Griller Pro I went to a Weber OTG for grilling and a UDS for smoking.. surprisingly takes about the same amount of room on the patio. It works better for me.

OK the lesson learned. Sit down next to the corpse and have a beer or what ever. Think of this a right of passage. Your next cooker could be less $ then the original (UDS) Or now that you have an excellent opportunity to go the next level do so and get a much better cooker. Many recommendations here. KISS

Back