What is the Hardest Thing you Cook?

Grilling turkey burgers for my wife...I either nail it, or I run inside for a beverage re-fill and turn them into hockey pucks.

Pig Candy by far! :oops:

I have tried every combination of time/temp, thick/thin, different sugars/spices, etc.

Never had a good batch and have (almost) given up. :oops:

Something so simple....

TIM

Chicken skin....I cook killer chicken but bite through skin is hard. I don't practice much though because chicken is the meat you use when everything else is out...

My daughter loves lamb shoulder and deer hind leg. I'm about 80%-90% on those.

Usually I do fine, but about 1 in 10 will either be dry or tough.

Well now I have my answer at least to why mine is usually dry...I'm too lazy to brine and inject. :mrgreen:

It's not necessary. The key is pulling it off the heat at 140F internal temp, and make sure you didn't cook too hot & fast so the outside is way overcooked before the inside hits 140F.

Anything in the 225F-275F range is perfect. Just season and smoke.

Perfect brisket is my unicorn. I can make edible brisket every time, but chasing perfect is tough.

Boneless chicken breasts. The only part of the chicken my wife will eat, and she has to watch her salt intake, so no brining. I might have to get a Thermapen just for them.

Boneless chicken breasts. The only part of the chicken my wife will eat, and she has to watch her salt intake, so no brining. I might have to get a Thermapen just for them.
Have you tried a Sous Vide process? You could do a batch in a circulator, and freeze them for later use. Defrost as needed, sear in pan or on grill with glaze, sauce, or seasoning of choice.

For me it was a leg of lamb. I've tried it twice, neither one turned out great so I've stopped trying to smoke that until I read up on the subject.

Have you tried a Sous Vide process? You could do a batch in a circulator, and freeze them for later use. Defrost as needed, sear in pan or on grill with glaze, sauce, or seasoning of choice.
Thanks, but I'd rather she learn to eat dark meat, or at least bone in chicken. My life is complicated enough without learning a new technique with new equipment. Plus, I'd have to get rid of some of our current cookware to make storage room.

Last edited:
Speaking of pork loin, I bought one to cook while my wife was out of town. I was woried about drying it out, because it was so lean. It turned out to be a no-brainer. Kettle indirect at 250 deg, cook it until it hit 140 deg internal, and rested for 30 minutes. It was moist as anyone could wish.

Brisket by far. Everything else seems to come out really good to great according to my guests (I like it too)

Brisket they also like, but I'm never pleased with it consistently. Lately I've been getting pretty close, but I admittedly still haven't let go of looking at temps. I probe to what I believe is tender...but after the rest the flat still isn't what I'd like it to be.

One day I'll get it perfect.

I know most of you are talking about food on the smoker, but for me, the biggest PITA is getting a good burger off of a charcoal grill. It never fails that the burger will either fall apart on the grill or end up dry as a bone.

I know most of you are talking about food on the smoker, but for me, the biggest PITA is getting a good burger off of a charcoal grill. It never fails that the burger will either fall apart on the grill or end up dry as a bone.

What's your burger mix?
I like to use 80% ground (the higher fat content stuff), and 20% ground venison. I have a ton of it, but if you don't, try using either ground turkey, lamb, or even a leaner grind of beef.
I like to use a binder, so I'll add a panko or italian bread crumbs, one egg, all the spices and plenty of mustard. Finely chopped, grilled onions are an option.
Mix thoroughly by hand, and hand form the patties (I don't do a lot of measuring, so I'm guessing my handful of meat is roughly 6-8 oz?).
I put these on a cookie sheet, I like to add a dollop of teriyaki glaze to the top, cover and let come to room temp.
Get a greased grill good and hot, maybe 500 degrees, and let them sear on each side till the meat doesn't stick. Turn so you get nice grill hatchmarks, and then let them rest tented on a platter. ETA: Forgot to add that I turn down the heat after the first turn, maybe 350ish? In all honesty the thermometer on my grill died a couple years ago and I tend to do it by feel...

Moist, don't stick, and my kids won't eat a fast food burger anymore, they're so good.
I guess the key is letting them sear, and remembering that they'll continue to cook when they're pulled off. I hope that helps, and if it doesn't, you can always blame me... ;)

Don't handle the meat much. I split the meat into portion size lumps, pat into shape and cook. 5 minutes per side and into the buns.

Well now I have my answer at least to why mine is usually dry...I'm too lazy to brine and inject. :mrgreen:

I think you have Kroger in St. Louis. All their pork is already brined for you. Chicken too. I usually don't buy it that way unless I'm going to smoke it, but I buy most of my meat from local farms or a local Amish butcher shop.

Back