What else to BBQ

Hotch, I want to do bologna and Spam one day for a potluck. The one time I tried to smoke Spam, it came out way too salty. Any suggestions? How about the bologna? What seasonings?

As always start with quality protein. I use Boars Head.
I treat it like a butt. Cut the columns in. You can go 1/2" or 3/4" just leave 1", un cut at the bottom. Mustard that baby up and liberally apply your favorite rub. Smoke for a couple of hours. I like pecan but use what you like. Towards the end it should start to bloom a bit. Then mop on your favorite Q sauce. You can thin it a bit in it is thick. You want it to run down between the columns! And give it time to setup, like ribs.
I also serve up 3-4 different mustard's if no sauce. :mrgreen:

Never ever touched Spam!! :hand:

IMG_2988_zpsaq6njmhq.jpg

God bless America!! I cannot WAIT to do that.

Smoked worms, sounds good. Lol
May try a meatloaf stuffed with mozzarella cheese, with cornbread jalapeno poppers wraped with bacon & some macaroni cheese for the side dish.

I'd pick something you like cooked in the oven. Just about everything, like meatloaf, comes out better with some smoke.

Try a salmon fillet with this glaze:

1/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
Juice from ½ Lemon
1 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper

Mix the glaze in a food processor or blender.
Put the salmon on indirect at 225 to 275 with a little smoke.
Brush on the glaze every 10 minutes or so
Pull when the white protein starts to appear on top the filet (about 45 minutes).

Try smoking Hebrew National Kosher salami. Also boneless leg of lamb, and since its really popular hear at SoCal tri tip

Smoked meatloaf is the only way to eat meatloaf! Smoked potato skins, meat balls, smoked fish
beer can burgers, smoked scotch eggs, turkey legs, haven't got to do a park belly yet but seen several videos

I am about to smoke a shepherds pie. Never tried it but I smoke green chili mac n cheese all the time so shepherds pie should work.

Meat loaf is incredible on a smoker.

Chicken - use your imagination.....tons of ways to smoke up some goodness with it.

Chuck roast - killer (Pepper Stout Beef)

Pork Belly Burnt Ends.

Lamb - just killer on the smoke.

Cold smoke some cheese.

I recently smoked almonds peacans hazelnuts and walnuts and it came out great. It was a Steven Raichlen recipe with melted butter brown sugar salt pepper paprika and something else. Will definitely do it again soon

Lamb or deer shoulders--for me one of the few ways I like to cooks these. Just do 2-4 at once since there isn't a lot of meat for the size and amount of bone.

lamb is fine, but deer is lean--so one of the few meats I would always wrap when doing a shoulder.

My oldest prefers pulled lamb and pulled deer to either beef or pork.

Back