What do you use to marinade in?

MilitantSquatter said:
Zips for small items.... Sometimes for larger items or large qtys - I'll marinade or brine in large unused garbage bags..

Have you read the thread Ron linked in post #18?

Missed the link this time around, but read it in the past..that was funny ... Poor Poobah..

Luckily, I've never had a problem... A bit more pricey, but contractor garbage bags can handle anything..

qman said:
National Sanitation Foundation = NSF

A third party testing organization like Underwriters Lab, except for the food service industry. They assure that products and tools are safe for the uses that they are intended for.

The are also called Lexans in the "trade". :-D

I use ziplocks for small stuff, but I have 3 and 5 gallon restaurant grade (NSF) buckets with lids for things like ribs, lots of chicken, etc.

Seriously this time: I got some deep stainless steel food service square pans (used & cheap) from as local restaurant supply store and wrap the top with that new "press-n-seal" saran wrap. Stainless steel lids aint air tight.

I have been using 2 or3 gallon buckets my sister brought home from Costco bakery. They get their pie filling and frosting in them. The lids seal nice and they wash up great.

thillin said:
They have those new XL & XXL ziplocs. Can hold a good sized brisket or multiple butts.

I HATE those xxl bags. I was thinking they would be a great, larger version of a ziplock and threw a 12# brisket in there with marinade etc. then set the whole sealed thing in a cooler. 10 minutes later, the entire cooler was filling with dark liquid. Picked up what was left in the brisket bag and stuck into another xxl ziplock, only to have the same results.

Bottom line, I dont think these things were ever made to actually seal liquids in, just to be big see-through garbage bags for sticking random junk in.:frown:

Too stay on topic, I love ziplocks for marinading smaller items or adding breading to fried chicken. Still looking for advice on marinading (and keeping cool) a larger cut like brisket, though!

There are so many ways to induce self-marination...Joe's is as good as any...

I use Foodsaver bags (Vacuumed down) or I use Ziplocs. The XL & XXL bags Thillin' mentioned are now at Sam's Club in a combo pack.... used to only be able to get them at Cabela's (for too much $$). Those bags will hold multiple briskets and butts, I can fit all 6 slabs I cook usually into one also.

HoDeDo said:
There are so many ways to induce self-marination...Joe's is as good as any...

I use Foodsaver bags (Vacuumed down) or I use Ziplocs. The XL & XXL bags Thillin' mentioned are now at Sam's Club in a combo pack.... used to only be able to get them at Cabela's (for too much $$). Those bags will hold multiple briskets and butts, I can fit all 6 slabs I cook usually into one also.

So maybe I just had a bad batch of the jumbo bags? Liquid was coming out of sides and bottom of the bag at a pretty fast pace. I had one brisket and at most 2 gallons of liquid.

Ziplocks work well for me.

Good to hear you can get the XL Bags at Sams~Thanks

So I shouldn't be putting my rubbed/injected briskets and butts in large disposable aluminum pans covered with foil to rest for hours before cooking???

Jeff_in_KC said:
So I shouldn't be putting my rubbed/injected briskets and butts in large disposable aluminum pans covered with foil to rest for hours before cooking???

I too put injected butts/shoulders in full aluminum pans overnight before I put them on the smoker. I even go as far as to run the pans through the dishwasher to wash/sanitize and use them again for serving before I chunk 'em. A no-no??

For ribs, I have a big cafeteria tray (phenolic type material) that I stack them on after I rub them.....but then I cover them with foil for their overnight stay in the fridge. Another no-no??

Zip Lock bags or a large glass cassarole style container.

I normally use Zip Lock style bags as I can cram more in my fridge!!!

A big thank you to Ron L for resurrecting the Fwooooosh thread. I use buss tubs to marinate briskets in. Jeff, I think your okay with letting your briskets and butts rest in the aluminum pan after they have been rubbed. You just don't want to marinate meat using aluminum. You could always line the the aluminum pans with plastic wrap before setting the briskets and butts in if you are worried about it.

If you're in a bind with no bags, etc., you can also cut a small hole in the corner of the cryovac, pour marinade in, and seal the hole with duct tape. Bag then goes back into the cooler or fridge.

Back