What do you use for fuel in your PBC

use KBB if it's all I have on hand at that moment. I've been using this stuff and really like it. Very large chunks and it burns long in the PBC. I just hand stack it in the basket and fill in the gaps with smaller pieces. I don't even need wood chunks and it makes for great smoke as is.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/mesquite-lump-charcoal/prod5890226.ip

Bob

Thanks Bob! I see that's a mesquite hardwood coal. Would you use it on milder meats like chicken too?

I

mostly use it for brisket and chuck roll, but I have used it for pork and spatched birds. I liked the flavor on chicken. It's great lump for grilling too. Albertson's has them for $12. At the end of the season, they will mark em down to $9.

Bob

mostly use it for brisket and chuck roll, but I have used it for pork and spatched birds. I liked the flavor on chicken. It's great lump for grilling too. Albertson's has them for $12. At the end of the season, they will mark em down to $9.

Bob

Hhmmm I may have to give that one a try!

For all you Stubbs users - what is it price wise in comparison to Kbb or RO Lump?

For all you Stubbs users - what is it price wise in comparison to Kbb or RO Lump?

I can get a 15lb bag of Stubbs at Walmart for like $7.80
I can get a 17.6lb bag of RO lump at Walmart for about $9.50
I don't know what KBB costs normally because IF I purchase it, it's only when they do the 2-20lb bags together for $10.

KBB is definitely cheaper when on sale. I will use it for grilling because I light it all in a chimney and it burns off the weird smell. I don't use it for smoking though.

I know some people like KBB and I admittedly have used it for smoking too. And the food tasted good. I just think Stubbs puts out a better flavor and I don't like the KBB smell.

Technically if you hang meat in a UDS it's just like a PBC but I suppose if you set up a UDS hang to then it wouldn't be standard. :p[/QUOTEActually if you hang meat in a 55 gallon drum it is not the same as a PBC. According to amazingribs.com:

"Why does the PBC use a 30 gallon drum instead of the typical 55?

Pit Barrel President, Noah Glanville explains: "We found that a 30 gallon drum provides a cooking environment that produces the better product every time. I can't explain the scientific reason for this. I can tell you we have gone through 29 different prototypes with different size drums and vent adjustments every way you can imagine."

Once again we ran this by Dr. Blonder, asking if there is any reason the smaller drum would be superior. "Absolutely makes sense." he replied, "The reason the Pit Barrel works is simple, heat rises. So you have a hot fire at the bottom, and hot air that rises to the top; which basically evens out the temperature profile to more or less constant top to bottom. Hang the meat vertically so the hot air is not blocked, and it's the perfect oven - unless there are convection cells that mess up this even profile. Imagine a really wide cooker. Hot air would rise, bump into the cooler lid, cool off and sink, forming a rotating convection cell that lowers air temp at the lid and creates unpredictable turbulence. But as you narrow the diameter of the cooker, it becomes harder and harder for air to make the turn and descend. Sounds like 30 gallons is the dividing line between stable and unstable flow."

I"m pretty sure it came down to price point and shipping cost but that's JMO. Regardless I guarantee you a 55 gallon set up as they normally are with their normal exhaust (not how the PBC is set up with the side holes for the rods) cook just fine. Many folks like myself have retrofitted theirs to do both.

Not knocking the PBC Bob but it isn't unique to hanging food...I know first hand with my 55 gallon but i rotisserie more so I don't utilize it. Next I'm going to set up my cooker that's comparable in size to the PBC to hang food if i want to go that route.

Back