What do you use for fuel in your PBC

Well you're reading it here. Used it in my UDS and mini wsm a few times...wretched stuff...I fell for the super sales and thought id try it again...huge mistake

Not to be a jerk but did you try it on a PBC? It cooks different from a standard UDS.

By the way I am not saying people shouldn't experiment with other types of charcoal, just saying using Kingsford puts out great good. It does well in competition with KBB.

Last edited:
Not to be a jerk but did you try it on a PBC? It cooks different from a standard UDS.

By the way I am not saying people shouldn't experiment with other types of charcoal, just saying using Kingsford puts out great good. It does well in competition with KBB.

Nope, but looking at the PBC,,,its no diff than the uds...a vertical drum cooker with intake and exhaust....i honestly do not see the diff lol

Nope, but looking at the PBC,,,its no diff than the uds...a vertical drum cooker with intake and exhaust....i honestly do not see the diff lol
If you are ever in St. Louis let me know and I'll cook you up some chicken on the PBC with KBB. Am sure you will enjoy!

I don't find kingsford to leave any funky taste or odor. With that said, adding a little smoke would offset any of that.

I think for the first run I'm gonna go ahead and use the rest of my Kingsford. It'll just be me and the kids anyway so not trying to impress anyone (and if most people are right the KBB might just work well in the PBC). That'll give me a baseline for temp and flavor. From there I'll go to Stubbs. 2nd cook will probably be a couple butts.
My son is graduating from Oklahoma State University in May and I'll be vac sealing the pulled pork for a little party we will have.

PS: yeah I know, I have a son at OSU. :tsk: Could have been worse though. He could have gone to Texas and been a Longhorn! :puke:

Alot of folks mentioned Stubbs. I would love to try some but the only kind I can find around here is Kingsford

Walmart and Lowe's sells it here in Oklahoma. Walmart has the best price.

Edit: You can get it from Amazon but it's about double the price.

Please send me all your bags of KBB. It is terrible stuff and I can dispose of it for you over the next 40 years or so that I will use it to smoke meat on my Weber kettles/WSM's.

I've only used Kinsford Blue and satisfied with the results and predictability. I've got it the lower vent setting where it holds the temp from 230F - 240F. I do throw in some small wood chips when I first put in the meat

Technically if you hang meat in a UDS it's just like a PBC but I suppose if you set up a UDS hang to then it wouldn't be standard. :p[/QUOTEActually if you hang meat in a 55 gallon drum it is not the same as a PBC. According to amazingribs.com:

"Why does the PBC use a 30 gallon drum instead of the typical 55?

Pit Barrel President, Noah Glanville explains: "We found that a 30 gallon drum provides a cooking environment that produces the better product every time. I can't explain the scientific reason for this. I can tell you we have gone through 29 different prototypes with different size drums and vent adjustments every way you can imagine."

Once again we ran this by Dr. Blonder, asking if there is any reason the smaller drum would be superior. "Absolutely makes sense." he replied, "The reason the Pit Barrel works is simple, heat rises. So you have a hot fire at the bottom, and hot air that rises to the top; which basically evens out the temperature profile to more or less constant top to bottom. Hang the meat vertically so the hot air is not blocked, and it's the perfect oven - unless there are convection cells that mess up this even profile. Imagine a really wide cooker. Hot air would rise, bump into the cooler lid, cool off and sink, forming a rotating convection cell that lowers air temp at the lid and creates unpredictable turbulence. But as you narrow the diameter of the cooker, it becomes harder and harder for air to make the turn and descend. Sounds like 30 gallons is the dividing line between stable and unstable flow."

Actually if you hang meat in a 55 gallon drum it is not the same as a PBC. According to amazingribs.com:

"Why does the PBC use a 30 gallon drum instead of the typical 55?

Pit Barrel President, Noah Glanville explains: "We found that a 30 gallon drum provides a cooking environment that produces the better product every time. I can't explain the scientific reason for this. I can tell you we have gone through 29 different prototypes with different size drums and vent adjustments every way you can imagine."

Once again we ran this by Dr. Blonder, asking if there is any reason the smaller drum would be superior. "Absolutely makes sense." he replied, "The reason the Pit Barrel works is simple, heat rises. So you have a hot fire at the bottom, and hot air that rises to the top; which basically evens out the temperature profile to more or less constant top to bottom. Hang the meat vertically so the hot air is not blocked, and it's the perfect oven - unless there are convection cells that mess up this even profile. Imagine a really wide cooker. Hot air would rise, bump into the cooler lid, cool off and sink, forming a rotating convection cell that lowers air temp at the lid and creates unpredictable turbulence. But as you narrow the diameter of the cooker, it becomes harder and harder for air to make the turn and descend. Sounds like 30 gallons is the dividing line between stable and unstable flow."

Back