What do you put on your rib roast?

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
We decided to do a three bone rib roast on the Weber kettle rotisserie today. We slathered the prime rib with Dijon mustard, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper. This combination works for my wife’s “500°f then shut oven of method”, but most of it fell of by the end of the rotisserie cook. (See below).

Do you have something that will hang on a bit better better on a rotisserie?

I started with a full chimney of Kingsford charcoal split between the baskets and didn’t need to add any charcoal for the entire cook.

Today was the first time having company for a meal in about two years and everyone really like the rib roast.

4268-CB6-E-A7-BA-46-AC-B081-339-AAD027308.png

I typically go with olive oil and Killer Hogs TX brisket rub. I've never tried it on a rotisserie though. I usually cook on the drum smoker. Have you tried going with an indirect setup on the kettle instead of the rotisserie?

I typically go with olive oil and Killer Hogs TX brisket rub. I've never tried it on a rotisserie though. I usually cook on the drum smoker. Have you tried going with an indirect setup on the kettle instead of the rotisserie?

I have in the past, but I’ve been having fun with my rotisserie lately and wanted to do a prime rib using it. The prime rib came out really good, and was effortless to make so this will probably become my preferred method. I just want to find something that hangs on a bit better.

I tried the Oakridge SPOGOS this year and both the wife and I was not impressed with it. I do like the BlackOps a lot though.

Not knocking the SPOGOS or Oakridge (I like most of their stuff) but it just wasn't for us. Different folks with different tastes, I guess.

I picked this up at Costco a couple years back, the granules are pretty large, good balance of herbs, salt, and sweetness, and it makes a nice crust. I had some problems when using it on a rotisserie where it'd fall off, I thought it was probably due to the large granules. Seemed to work fine on a roasting pan in the oven.

imageService

I bought this year and we tried it on a roast on Christmas Eve - I really liked it a lot. Finer granules than the first one, but really good flavor and made for a nice crust. Of the two, I think I prefer this one overall but both are very good.

resize

The company is called "My Family's Seasonings" and it is sold at Publix.

Attachments

• prime.jpg
    prime.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I'm a big fan of John's Q-Salt as well... I used it on this year's Christmas rib roast and got rave reviews from everyone. I did borrow a little hack from the instructions of Harvest Brine and wrapped the roast in cling wrap & dry brined in the fridge for three days.

Haven't done a PR on the spinner yet, but did you trim the fat cap? Wondering if the fat rendering pulled the seasoning off with it.

Maybe try a light coating of mustard to help the herbs stick. It has helped me in the past when doing chicken. The mustard leaves no noticeable taste after cooking. JM2CW.

I make up a paste using the follwing:

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO (Enough to make into a paste)

I apply a nice even coating to the roast and then cover with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 4 hours to let it come up to room temp.

This provides a really nice flavorful crust that is delicious.

Enjoy!

Haven't done a PR on the spinner yet, but did you trim the fat cap? Wondering if the fat rendering pulled the seasoning off with it.

That could be part of the problem. I may try taking a bit more of the fat off next time.

Maybe try a light coating of mustard to help the herbs stick. It has helped me in the past when doing chicken. The mustard leaves no noticeable taste after cooking. JM2CW.

It was slathered with Dijon mustard with garlic, thyme, salt and pepper mixed in.
I’ve had this combination crisp up and easily scrape off before.

I make up a paste using the follwing:

1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO (Enough to make into a paste)

I apply a nice even coating to the roast and then cover with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 4 hours to let it come up to room temp.

This provides a really nice flavorful crust that is delicious.

Enjoy!

Thanks, that looks delicious!

Back