THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

waywardtravel

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm new at buying larger quantities of beef or pork.

I just trimmed 80lbs of flank steaks for instance for jerky. I'd guess there is about 5lbs of 90% fat, 3%silver lining, and 7% beef.

I'm thinking of simmering it to make a broth.
What is recommended.
I don't do sausage yet.

Also what can be done with the fat after pulling pork. Especially a belly.

Thanks for any tips.

If it's hard fat save it up and when you get enough make soap. My niece makes soap and gets about $12.00 to $15.00 a bar. She renders down about 70 to 80 pounds of hard fat at a time though. My BIL always saves the fat for her when he butches a cow or two.

You can put the fat in a pot on low and let it render all the fat (takes a few hours). You end up with craklins and beef tallow. Beef tallow is a great fat for frying/sauteeing.

Couple things I do with it:

Season the inside of the smoker with it (prevents rust)

or

Take and put it inside a wire cage for the birds to eat at. The woodpeckers will love you forever.

What about rendering then injecting it. Into something like a leaner beef like a tenderloin?

I guess I should break it down to craklins and tallow and see just what this is all about.

Soap sounds interesting but I'll never do that.

I was reading it's usually the main ingredient in leather conditioner. That stuff is over 14 bucks a small bottle here. I might play with that also.
I would love the smell of bbq in my truck. It gets pretty bad in the rainy months

Back