THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heh. Food Channel Vocabulary.

"We'll just add some EVOO to enhance both the flavor profile and the mouth feel..."

Ha Ha! I actually used the term "mouth feel" at the NorCal Bash after eating some of Marty's collard greens. Not that I have ever used the term before but it just seemed appropriate to describe what was going on in my mouth at the time. There was just something special going on with those greens.
I said it and I stand by it so kiss my grits and pet my peeve. :wacko:

My mom married into the "smoking family" and to this day I still cringe when she asks me if I want a BBQ sandwich and what she would give me is a sloppy joe. She has the habit to this day of calling it "hamburger BBQ"............

I have a friend that makes excellent ribs, he then... takes them off the smoker, slathers them with store bought bbq sauce (eg corn syrup and liquid smoke) and serves them. And he puts 1/2 inch of sauce on them. And the sauce is cold. 5+ hours of work and then you are basically drinking cold bbq sauce.

My friends wife asking every 20 min "when are the ribs gonna be done". She drove me so crazy that I ripped the ribs off the smoker cut them up and throw them on the table. They were horrible, I also told her that I was never cooking ribs for anyone other then myself again.

My pet peeve is folks worrying about how other people eat and drink. If you want a well done steak, sauce on your brisket or ice in your drink it's available at casa frognot. Ain't no one and only one right way to do stuff in this world and that includes cooking (and eating) BBQ.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02X8bX_EBv4"]Miranda Lambert - All Kinds of Kinds - YouTube[/ame]

When I am asked, "How much longer will it take for the meat to be done?" My response is always in degrees, not time. Let the battle begin.

And yes, people who salt and pepper, or sauce food you have cooked to perfection, without even tasting it first. My step daughter has a habit of taking a PERFECTLY cooked ribeye, fresh off the grill, and nuke it in the microwave! P#sses me off every time.

My pet peeve is folks worrying about how other people eat and drink. If you want a well done steak, sauce on your brisket or ice in your drink it's available at casa frognot. Ain't no one and only one right way to do stuff in this world and that includes cooking

You sound like one of them anarchists!

Personally, I hate it when people like stuff I don't like. I'll bet you that right at this moment, some dummy is firing up the wrong king of cooker with the wrong kind of fuel just so he can cook some meat with the wrong rub on it.

And then he'll probably have the unmitigated audacity to enjoy the result!

newbie here..long time lurker...great thread

Live in Central PA...easy for me...the weather from November to March. I want to be outside, sitting on my deck, listening to music, drinking a beverage with the smoker rolling. Kinda hard when it's below 32 degrees.

I still fire up the smoker...but I watch from inside.:sad:

• People who come over and tell me my chicken (or ribs) is raw because it is still pink
  • Any steak cooked past medium or past rare in the case of a quality meat

My pet peeve is folks worrying about how other people eat and drink. If you want a well done steak, sauce on your brisket or ice in your drink it's available at casa frognot. Ain't no one and only one right way to do stuff in this world and that includes cooking (and eating) BBQ.

Miranda Lambert - All Kinds of Kinds - YouTube

Amen. Once i make my plate its my food and I'll ruin it how i like. If you dont want someone to drown their food in sauce dont put it out.

Someone telling you a pork butt is done once it hits IT 195.

Was helping a friend with a pork butt on his PBC. He had a few of his buddies saying it's done when it is 195 IT. They thought I was speaking in a different language when I mentioned it's done by feel.

I think this is missing the point of the thread. It's pet peeves we're discussing. No one is telling anyone not to eat or drink what they want. This isn't a "why can't we all just get along" moment so much as people sharing things that shock them because either they other party is ignorant, eg the smoke ring on chicken meaning it's underdone as I mentioned, or just because it's just not how they do it and they think it's odd. No more...

easy for me...the weather from November to March. I want to be outside, sitting on my deck, listening to music, drinking a beverage with the smoker rolling. Kinda hard when it's below 32 degrees.

Echo that sentiment. Things have turned COLD here this past week (temps in the 30's during the day) and it bums me out. Hoping to get a kamado for my Bday in December which should help with that.

It's not a "pet peeve", but I do think it a shame when a person doesn't cook a piece of meat with just basic seasonings, at most, before cooking it with a lot of spices or sauce. How else do you know what it tastes like?

Slow cookers. Some people love them and I just don't get it. Nearly everything it does can be done MUCH better with a pressure cooker or a dutch oven. Even the convenience factor is grossly overstated since you need to dirty another pot to brown meats and veggies before throwing them in the slow cooker.

In my mind, there are only two uses for a slow cooker: keeping a dish warm at a party and caramelizing onions.

Poor handling of knives. Using silverware to cook instead of the cooking utensils. Handles to pots sticking out from range. Poor arrangement of dishes on drying rack or dishwasher. Not cleaning as you go. Using too much oil on a skillet. Hovering. Using the wrong cutting board....

You know what? Stay out of my kitchen.

:grin:

Poor handling of knives. Using silverware to cook instead of the cooking utensils. Handles to pots sticking out from range. Poor arrangement of dishes on drying rack or dishwasher. Not cleaning as you go. Using too much oil on a skillet. Hovering. Using the wrong cutting board....

You know what? Stay out of my kitchen.

:grin:

You sound like me. Did you cook commercially at some point? Restaurant kitchens made me a bit fanatical about most of those things.

Last edited:
Echo that sentiment. Things have turned COLD here this past week (temps in the 30's during the day) and it bums me out. Hoping to get a kamado for my Bday in December which should help with that.

People who complain it's too cold to cook!.... Just kidding!
My neighbor just got this so he could cook when it's cold....
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N7FM5BC?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3"]Amazon.com : Lava Heat Italia LHI-ALTO-48BTU-BC-LP Patio Heater Alto Propane, 48, 000 BTU, Copper : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

My pet peeve is ANYONE in my kitchen. Especially when I'm cooking.

My biggest one is people blindly adding salt and pepper to food someone else has prepared without even tasting it first. :tsk:[/QUOTE]

See, the thing is that only about 5-10% of prepared food is actually over salted already. Since that's the case, timid salters, who don't salt before that first bite, rob themselves of a substantial amount of salt related happiness over the course of a life time. I can't get behind that:doh:

(Stolen from DILBERT)

Back