What are your BBQ/cooking pet peeves?

People that type "brisky" instead of brisket... It's ONE MORE KEY STROKE !!!

There... I said it...

This. :grin:

Not exactly a pet peeve for me but it's something I don't get. Brisky, Chucky, Roti, etc.. What friends with kids would call "baby talk".
Is it "baby talk" or not knowing how to spell rotisserie, or something else?
I'm not losing sleep over it.

As for pet peeves, I guess when someone drowns smoked meat in sauce before tasting it. Taste it first, then pour away. :grin:

Last edited:
Ok ...first off ice in whiskey is a NECESSARY EVIL when you can’t afford good whiskey...guilty your honor but it happens sometimes. Cooking a great steak well done (BLASPHEMY) or putting steak sauce/ketchup. Over salting. This is a BIG ONE....SAUCE ON RIBS!!!!!!!!!! ..I’m a quality rub guy and IMHO you don’t have to have sauce to give proper ribs moisture or taste.....down off my soap box. Not having quality music while cooking HUGE. Somebody NOT TAKING frozen food out in time to thaw. Things coming up that screw up my cooking time, I really like to enjoy my leisure time and make a spiritual/religious experience out of cooking outside. AND...guest not saying THANK YOU for preparing a meal.....in the SOUTH that is grounds to be expelled from future feeds!!!!

Last edited:
Not cleaning as you go, as mentioned above, is a big one. My wife rarely child and when she does it's usually reheating or putting together meals that I've already done the real work for. But when she does literally every dish and utensilsrnal she dirties will all be piled in the sink when we eat.

The much bigger one to me though is all the recipes I see shared on Facebook that include 10 different processes crap "ingredients" like canned biscuits/crescents, canned soup, etc.

You're not making a home made meal when half the ingredients are processed garbage...

This. :grin:

Not exactly a pet peeve for me but it's something I don't get. Brisky, Chucky, Roti, etc.. What friends with kids would call "baby talk".
Is it "baby talk" or not knowing how to spell rotisserie, or something else?
I'm not losing sleep over it.

As for pet peeves, I guess when someone drowns smoked meat in sauce before tasting it. Taste it first, then pour away. :grin:

I will try to avoid baby talk in the future

Hmmm...lets see, steak sauce, melted butter or anything else covering a filet. Throwing my knives in the sink (please don't touch my knives). And the biggest...asking when the Q will be ready. It will be ready when its ready!

Edit: Putting ketchup on anything that comes off my smoker!!!

- Guys who buy beautiful prime ribeye steaks or the equivalent and insist in marinating them with $.99 Italian Salad dressing. This guy has never tried just letting the flavor of the meat be front and center with a liberal coating of salt and fresh ground pepper because "anything marinated must be good".

- This same guy will not let his grill get hot enough before overloading it with expensive marinated steaks, then he stands there opening the grill every 45 seconds or letting the heat that has accumulated escape, all the while flipping the steaks with a big-ass fork poking as many holes as possible until the steaks are a uniform gray in color with zero crust, and then he proudly exclaims "Which one do you want?"!

- People who overwork and mix hamburgers like they are trying to beat the meat into submission, usually after adding eggs, milk, or God knows what else to their signature blend. Sausage burgers are what they are really making, and the tough texture can be spotted a mile away.

- I got my mother into a small Cookshack Smoker a couple of years ago, and the first thing she did was cover the racks with foil. What can I say???

Maybe more than a pet peeve.

Grill brushes with steel or brass bristles. I've read on this forum and had seen news reports of people needing surgery after ingesting a bristle that had come loose and ended up in their food. I thought yeah, I should do something about my brushes but never did until Mrs Hankdad and I were eating a dinner prepared on the grill. She stopped and removed a grill brush bristle from her mouth. Thank God she didn't swallow it. I Immediately tossed all grate brushes with bristles then warned our family, friends and neighbors.

Hope you will do the same.

Maybe more than a pet peeve.

Grill brushes with steel or brass bristles. I've read on this forum and had seen news reports of people needing surgery after ingesting a bristle that had come loose and ended up in their food. I thought yeah, I should do something about my brushes but never did until Mrs Hankdad and I were eating a dinner prepared on the grill. She stopped and removed a grill brush bristle from her mouth. Thank God she didn't swallow it. I tossed all grate brushes with bristles then warned family, friends and neighbors.

Hope you will do the same.

Back