THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
A buddy of mine bought a ceramic cooker and this is his intro into grilling/smoking with live fire. I need to get him a wedding gift so I am looking at different everyday accessories to go along with a ceramic cooker. All he has is the cooker and charcoal. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Joedy. Excellent and thoughtful gift suggestion!

For folks getting started in cooking/smoking, here are a couple suggestions:

1. Thermometers. Could be a super spiffy instant read thermometer and/or something like a unit that can track multiple items at a time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVVK5JK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Quarter sheet pans and a couple racks. Really helpful to have a bunch of racks available to help shuttle food on and off the cooker. Racks are terrific for raising the protein and getting the fat away from the protein while not letting it drip onto the fire to cause flare ups. Really helpful for things like meat loaf (which should be an item to consider for his new cooker! Smoked meat loaf is a totally different animal than baked in the oven meat loaf!)

3. Rubs: grab a bunch of items to help get your buddy started.

4. Wood chunks: grab a variety of chunks to help him learn what sorts of woods he likes adding to what sorts of meals.

5. Hot hands: need something heat resistant to get stuff off the cooker

6. Large bowls: really helpful when pulling a couple pork butts to have space for the meat

7. Subscription to this site. :mrgreen:

8. Inexpensive vacuum sealer (example here): https://www.amazon.com/ICETEK-Vacuu...ds=ICETEK+vacuum+sealer&qid=1628160546&sr=8-4

9. Knives. I love giving knives as wedding gifts. Don't need to spend a boatload to get functional knives (but you can if it's that type of relationship). Getting a couple solid pieces can help get folks started. Or, could get a couple cheap knives (like these Kiwi knives) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FEJ0WO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QP3PTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to just provide something that will work short term while he figures out what will work best for him.

10. Combinations of all of the above, depending on your gift budget.

Good luck!
Bruce

Let’s see, a good chimney, a couple of boxes of fire starters, some good tongs, an accurate thermometer, and some good books on the subject. That should help get him off on the right foot.

I feel like an auto temp controller is a must have with a kamado. It is fun learning to control the temp with the vents, but being able to hook up a controller and have a temp dialed in for overnight or busy day cooks is what has kept me from getting rid of my kamado.

There is an on line place called ceramicgrillstore.com. I bought an obscure thing called a “woo ring”. It fits the round ceramic cookers. One of the handiest things I’ve picked up for my two ceramics. Its a stainless rack that will hold a deflector plate and your grates. I just used an inexpensive pizza stone and it worked perfect. Its also the perfect size to cradle a wok over open coals. That alone will take your Asian meals to a new level. They carry just about anything that you could want for a ceramic or steel kamado.

There is an on line place called ceramicgrillstore.com. I bought an obscure thing called a “woo ring”. It fits the round ceramic cookers. One of the handiest things I’ve picked up for my two ceramics. Its a stainless rack that will hold a deflector plate and your grates. I just used an inexpensive pizza stone and it worked perfect. Its also the perfect size to cradle a wok over open coals. That alone will take your Asian meals to a new level. They carry just about anything that you could want for a ceramic or steel kamado.

When Tom and I were active on the BGE forum, his first creation was the 'Sandbagger Ring' later called a 'Woo Ring' after Woodoggies, another ceramic cook. I have some of the early prototypes of the 'Rig' and a wok ring. Over the years the designs have gotten better and better, and the quality is top notch. Highly recommended.

Back