Weston Pro 1100 Vac Sealer/Initial Review

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
Well, two Foodsavers and a lot of reading on this forum took me back to the old rule: Do not buy cheap tools. My new Weston Pro 1100 came today and I had work ready for it.

yrtlSUV.png

The Pro 1100 for 11" bags is the smallest of the Weston Pro line. The other model, 2300/2100 will take 15" bags but that is bigger than I need and more storage space than I want to tie up. Interestingly, the 1100 has more sophisticated controls than its big brothers. Sealing time is adjustable and there are digital progress readouts on sealing time and on vacuum level. It also features a roll holder and cutter that (unlike Foodsaver) will take 50' rolls. Though unmentioned in the product literature it came complete with a 50' roll of 11" bags, so there is $15 or so of value. A spare gasket set and heat tape were also included, another $20 of value.

It came carefully packed and its construction is high quality. Bright stainless sheet metal, sealed front panel pushbuttons, and the power switch is sheltered by a silicone cover so whatever is on your hands cannot crawl in and find the electricity. Even the roller bar for the bags is machined aluminum. It is not going to win any beauty contests, however. Square corners and very utilitarian overall. The only potential weak point I see is that the tabs used to lock the cover closed are made of plastic. Time will tell whether wear here is an issue or not.

It works great! Manual sealing the first end of the bag is similar to Foodsaver, but at the end of the cycle the vacuum pump runs, ensuring good clamping force as the bag material fuses and cools. I have read that the seals are 1/4". They are not that wide but they are probably twice the width of the Foodsaver seals where I had to routinely double-seal the bags.

The vacuum sealing phase seems to pull a harder vacuum than the Foodsavers do. During this phase, a digital readout counts from 0 to 9, indicating the vacuum level. At "9" it enters sealing mode and a second readout counts down sealing time in seconds. When liquids head for the seal area it is easy to terminate the vacuum phase by pushing the "Manual Seal" button. I had a couple of bags where liquid did get past the seal but from careful inspection the seals still seem to be good. I deliberately did not double-seal so I can see if they leak.

As far as buying goes, the list price is $300. Weston offers refurbished machines on their web site (http://www.westonsupply.com/Refurbished-Products-s/147.htm). In a couple of weeks of watching I did not see an 1100 come up but the discounts on the 2300 and 2100 were in the neighborhood of one-third, so I'd expect to see $200 for an 1100 if one appears. While I was watching the refubs a NIB 1100 come up on eBay and I got it for $177. That's Foodsaver territory, so I am also happy with that.

Any questions, just ask.

Much better than the one I got from costco. May save some coin and invest in one of these! Already had 2 bags break seals on the other one.

$177 is a great price, ill keep an eye out for sure!

Thanks for the review as soon as our kitchen gets remolded and we have more counter and storage space a weston is on top of the list as things to get.

I love my vac sealer. When the wife saw it I got an ear load about the $$$. About six weeks later she asked me to get more rolls of bags - she filled up the back up freezer with stuff on sale with "her" new appliance. Gotta love it! Congrats on your buy!

... You'll find that micro-channel bags are so inexpensive it may not be worth your time to make bags from rolls. But for large racks of ribs and such they still serve a great purpose. ...
So far/still learning, I am packaging mostly single meals in small bags cut from 8" rolls. Not large batches, either. I bought some 8"x50' rolls from Foodsaver when they were running a BOGO + free freight sale around Xmas and early January. They ran me 20 cents/foot. I'll probably get around to trying some pre-made bags at some point, though.

I have had my weston for a couple years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. The thing is built like a tank and is rock solid. Its really great for doing large batches as well. You made a really great choice, I'm sure you will be really happy with your purchase. I would add the one thing you have to watch out for is the sealer tape can get crinkled and that can cause a poor seal. Its easy to spot when that is happening and just reset the tape, takes 2 seconds to deal with.

Anyway, congratulations on your new machine.

I'm starting to look at vacuum sealers. I'm in between this model and the 2300. The 1100 does seem more versatile, but the 2300 can seal a 15" bag. That might swallow a whole brisket flat. I'm leaning more toward the 1100. Keep us posted on how you're using it and how well you still like it. Thanks,

Mike

I'm starting to look at vacuum sealers. I'm in between this model and the 2300. The 1100 does seem more versatile, but the 2300 can seal a 15" bag. That might swallow a whole brisket flat. I'm leaning more toward the 1100. Keep us posted on how you're using it and how well you still like it. Thanks,

Mike
Yes, the sealing width vs cost and bulk is the tradeoff. I do dimly recall seeing some bags that were bigger, with side pleats, but designed for 11" sealers. Sorry to say I did not pay much attention. Our freezer is so full that there is no way I could get a whole brisket in there anyway.

Re experience, I have put about 50' of bags through by now, both small/single serving and larger full St. Louis rack size. I'm still a happy guy. I have had a couple of bad seals, but those were due to mistakes on my part, mostly not stretching the bag to pull out any wrinkles in the seal area.

congrats I just got mine yesterday. So I had to the store and buy about $200.00 worth of meat so I play with it. Far better than foodsaver:grin:

Man, they got you too??? I've been having issues with my foodsaver for a couple years(when the seal was lowering, sometimes the left side wont come down all the way and even after taking it part a couple times i couldnt find anything wrong) but i battled through and had been eyeing a Weston. Of course one day i come on here and there's a review of the 2300 and how great it was and $380 later i have one at home. I havent used it yet but from what i read i cant go wrong with it. Now i just gotta finish up making my new patio smoker and cook up some brisket so i can try it out.

Yup, I did the Foodsaver to Weston move a little while back as well. I went with the 2300. I'm impressed with it but only used it a few times so far. I love the simple, solid and sturdy design.

Man, they got you too??? I've been having issues with my foodsaver for a couple years(when the seal was lowering, sometimes the left side wont come down all the way and even after taking it part a couple times i couldnt find anything wrong) but i battled through and had been eyeing a Weston. Of course one day i come on here and there's a review of the 2300 and how great it was and $380 later i have one at home. I havent used it yet but from what i read i cant go wrong with it. Now i just gotta finish up making my new patio smoker and cook up some brisket so i can try it out.

It's great for sealing other items as well.

Avoid waste and stretch your food dollar by keeping foods fresher for longer periods of time.

Extended freezer storage times for meats and other foods keeping them safe from freezer burn.

Buy foods in bulk or in large quantities when they're on sale, and store the extra for later.

Package leftovers in meal sized, or serving sized portions. Make the most of leftovers when Vac-Sealed, they'll taste as fresh as the day you made them.

Cook when it's convenient for you, double or triple the recipes, then store the extra portions for quick, easy reheating.

Spend less on fast food and take-out by make-ahead meals stored in Vac-Seal bags are, just heat and eat.

Easily reheat refrigerated and frozen food in the microwave or simmer-in-the-bag.

Quick easy meals in advance that are convenient, and much more affordable, not to mention more nutritious.

Spend less time running to the grocery store.

Buy frequently-used items in bulk and store the extra for later.

Marinate meats and fish in minutes instead of hours.

Perfect for storage of pantry items, impervious to insects and moisture.

Extend Pantry, Refrigerator, and Freezer storage times with Vac-Sealing.

Does this model have a port for attaching a vacuum hose?
From the manual: "Accessory Button: Press the Accessory Button when using vacuum canisters (sold separately) to vacuum and seal items stored in a canister."

I haven't tried to use this. I also have no idea whether the accessory connection is compatible with FoodSaver or is proprietary.

I use the foodsaver regular and wide mouth jar sealer. It attaches to the vacuum port to seal jars on my Weston Pro-2300.

I have a Foodsaver, and have had excellent results with it over the couple of years I have been using it. If you understand that it is not a commercial vacuum unit and do not get in a rush about using it when sealing numerous bags, then it will last for a good while. At least in my experience.

That said, if and when it quits, I will probably replace it with a Weston as they have a great reputation on here from the Brothers. I too buy the ready made bags (Weston brand from Amazon) and find them cheaper than making my own from rolls. I do have a couple of rolls that I keep on hand for extra long needs such as racks of ribs etc. Congratulations on your purchase. You will wonder how you ever got along without one after using it for a while.

Omar

Back