THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That sheet of expanded stainless is almost $500 alone. How did he come up with $300? : )

Well I haven't done the pricing, myself. But first -- if you look closely, he's using two sheets of metal, not one contiguous one. And -- do we know the sheets are stainless? I'm sure there is relatively cheap, commercial grade steel that's not stainless?

I'm no expert, obviously. Just sayin.

Well I haven't done the pricing, myself. But first -- if you look closely, he's using two sheets of metal, not one contiguous one. And -- do we know the sheets are stainless? I'm sure there is relatively cheap, commercial grade steel that's not stainless?

I'm no expert, obviously. Just sayin.

I was just kidding around. I don't know if it's stainless. If it is, I DO know it's $500.

But, I think the point he was just trying to make is you don't need a $4,000 smoker to make BBQ.

Where did you put the coals you shoveled in there? Off to the side or under the cooking grate?

I was just kidding around. I don't know if it's stainless. If it is, I DO know it's $500.

But, I think the point he was just trying to make is you don't need a $4,000 smoker to make BBQ.

Where did you put the coals you shoveled in there? Off to the side or under the cooking grate?

Not quite. I've been pricing steel lately.

I'm guessing he just used hot rolled steel, not stainless. You can buy a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4-#9 flat expanded metal for about $60 per sheet. If you want it in stainless it will be $270 per sheet. (3/4-#9 SS304 Flat Exp Metal), not $500.

I've helped host a chicken BBQ/party once for a small town where we cooked 150 whole birds (rather 300 half birds) on a cinder block pit just like this.... except we drank so much beer planning and setting the thing up that we didn't even think about putting 2" of sand down first..... we just burnt up my buddy's lawn. :doh:

They also make a great fire pit for the party after the cooking is done.

Regardless, Myron is right. you can easily build a similar pit for under $300.

Thanks for posting Unfathomable. It looked like a very memorable day. Nice gift from a great wife.

I got the chance to go to his school here in ga about three years ago and he was truly a class act. Have lots of info and has great food. First thing he told us was he got paid to be the " bad guy " on tv. He is a great guy. I learned his hot and fast cooking style and loved it and still use it with great results. Michael is a great guy to. Glad you had a good time.

I got to go to his school here in Ga and can say he is really a good guy with great cooking skills. I learned how to cook hot and fast and still having great results. His family was very kind also. Glad you got to go and enjoy this event.

Back