Well Known Texas BBQ Restaurants: Is It Worth The Price?

Another thing not noted here is that BBQ isn't easy to do well.

We all know that, but no-ones mentioned it. Long cook times, huge volumes and your business can be pranged by a bad review. Constant excellence required. It's so much more serious than a back yard brisket with a few people over and you can say to them it's done when it's done.

I just had a look at that video and you really can see the effort and the dedication. I'd love to work in a place like that for a year or two, no joke... but they can't pay me even half what I'm on now.

Is it expensive? Yes, but it's worth it.

Cheers!

Bill

I watched that video just the other day. Really enjoyed it. I didn't really have an appreciation for all the work that goes on behind closed doors to be able to open for three days.

I watched the video this week. There's a crazy level of work and dedication that goes into what Goldees is serving. I see no problem with the prices.

Food and supply prices going thru the roof have made going out for barbecue an expensive meal.

This right here. I have a Youtube channel dedicated to visiting bbq joints all over and most owners I talk to are struggling to survive even at these high prices. Heck 4 outstanding joints around me had to close up shop recently and it had nothing to do with the quality of food they put out. I salute what those at Goldees are doing they cut ZERO corners and their food is worth the cost to me.

I always thought to get the best Texas BBQ you had to go to Lockhart. I've been there 5 times and could never get near Kreuz Market - always mobbed, even at 11AM. But the Black's in Lockhart is pretty darn good too.

seattlepitboss

I always thought to get the best Texas BBQ you had to go to Lockhart. I've been there 5 times and could never get near Kreuz Market - always mobbed, even at 11AM. But the Black's in Lockhart is pretty darn good too.

seattlepitboss
You know.....we don't have any BBQ places here in Florida that have people waiting in line to buy that I know of.

Wonder if that's just a Texas thing or do other states have long line BBQ joints?

KC

Joes and SLAPs in KC both have lines in a market that has ton of bbq joints.

You know.....we don't have any BBQ places here in Florida that have people waiting in line to buy that I know of.

Wonder if that's just a Texas thing or do other states have long line BBQ joints?

Little Miss in Phoenix charges about the same and it’s definitely worth it. There’s a pretty big difference between these places and your average BBQ joint. I’m headed to Goldees next month for their class, so we’ll see if I can improve my game to their standards.

I attended Harry Soo’s class over 10 years ago and I learned how to make comp BBQ. That wasn’t useful to me. Goldees appears to soak everything in tallow or butter, and who doesn’t like fat? I’m not doing that at home, but I do expect to come away with something.

I haven't been to the newer ranked ones but when we lived in Little Elm (pre-Hurtado) we went to Hutchins multiple times. I think their food is worth the prices but I also only went every so often and never waited longer than 20 or so minutes in line.

I spent $263 at Goldee's yesterday, including Tax & Tip.

Awesome meats & sides! I talked to Jirby (Jonny) for a bit, really nice guy! Also said hi to Chuck.

seattlepitboss

Chuck (#1 ranked Goldee's pitmaster & brisket whisperer) is leaving Goldee's next year and opening up a BBQ Restaurant in Lockhart.

Back