Well I feel better. Looks like I know something after all!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey hows everyone's weekend going? Going great here, Took the missus out to eat. She asked me to take her to Olive Garden... (I know right?) The only one near by was 1 hour from where I live in Vienna, WV. so we made a day out of it and went shopping and what not!

While at Olive Garden she says "I remember seeing a BBQ joint on TV here". As soon as she said that I decided we needed to find the place. Olive Garden is the most expensive crap I've ever paid for! Wasn't bad, while eating the guy next to us started talking about the same BBQ joint we were talking about a few minutes earlier so I got directions to this place!

We finished eating decided to try to find the BBQ joint. It was easy to find there was a dancing pig outside. I couldn't resist I went in and got their Sampler platter which came with 1 side, 1/4 lb brisket, 1/4 pulled pork, 1/4lb chicken (Was a small leg quarter), 4 ribs and rolls. I chose their smoked Mac and cheese.

I've only ate BBQ from a BBQ joint two times. One time was at the beach in Oak Island, NC named The BBQ House (which I thought was awesome) and this place.

I feel better now about the food I've made lately. This place today I felt the food was a little on the dry side, chicken, pulled pork and ribs. Brisket was moist but it was more on the pot roast flavor IMO! This isn't saying the food wasn't good, I thought it was good BBQ but It was nothing special. Haven't tried the mac and cheese, I'll try it shortly. I like my mac and cheese as left overs if it was made right. I really liked his smoke flavor, and seasoning flavors though. BBQ sauce was pretty good. He had a good sweet and spicy sauce

I took some over to a buddy of mine, he tries almost everything I cook. He also agreed that I can cook just as good of BBQ.

Went shopping at Lowe's today! They had the deal for 2 18lb bags of kingsford for 12 bucks. I bought 2 packs. I also purchased a 40lb bag of royal Oak Chef Select. Decided against 80lbs since I knew I was going to lowes today. Looks like I'll have enough fuel for a while!

Last edited:
The best BBQ is what you make yourself, it is custom tailored to meet you likes and dislikes. However with that said, I am glad you found a BBQ Joint with good food, they are very hard to find... Some feel as if they have to cook the food in the sauce which completely masks the flavor of the meats.

That charcoal is a good deal to hold you over until the Memorial Day sale.

The best BBQ is what you make yourself, it is custom tailored to meet you likes and dislikes. However with that said, I am glad you found a BBQ Joint with good food, they are very hard to find... Some feel as if they have to cook the food in the sauce which completely masks the flavor of the meats.

That charcoal is a good deal to hold you over until the Memorial Day sale.

Well I'm saying if 80% of people from this site went to this BBQ it probably wouldn't be great. But I felt the pricing was good. I paid 16 bucks for the sampler platter I got. Thought it was worth it. Another thing I liked about the place was NONE of the meat had sauce on it! It was given on the side. So That was a plus for me!

I bet they were hoping most people here in WV would cover the meat in sauce to make up for what it lacked. So your probably right there! But maybe the first time I went there they were having a bad day. I have bad day's cooking, I'm sure it happens in the BBQ joint business sometimes. Maybe next time I go it'll blow my socks off! Lets hope

Lets be honest tho, The only reason why my food is better is mostly because of this forum! I've learned the process from not knowing anything at all pretty quick.

Wonder how much charcoal is normally on memorial day? Never worried so much about charcoal, this year is gonna be different :laugh:

It's very hard for me to try restaurant "BBQ"

So you ate and then you ate again?

It's very hard for me to try restaurant "BBQ"

So you ate and then you ate again?

Haha, not the first person to ask me this! No, I bought a take home meal. What BBQ left over isn't good right? It was the sampler so I could try everything! But as soon as I got to the car I sampled the sampler LOL. Couldn't resist, Didn't matter if I just ate.

I waited til I got home to share with my buddy next door (he tries almost everything I fix) to see what he thought. We both had the same opinion, It was good, but not great. I've pulled off better food from my cookers. Everything was overcooked. Ribs pretty much fell apart when eating them, chicken pretty much fell apart as well. Wasn't bad like I said I enjoyed the smoke/flavor profile just was dry.

It's usually 2 18# bags for $12.

Ah I see. Figured it might of been cheaper the way Madman said something about the memorial day sales.

Last edited:
I can cook ribs, pulled pork, or brisket better that the restaurants. Or so it seems. Not a valid comparison. I cook ribs for dinner at a set time, the poor cook has the keep them ready for HOURS, open to close. And yes, quality will suffer.

While I agree, most of us can cook better than most local BBQ establishments, sometimes it's worth it to give them a try. First, we didn't have to take the time and effort to cook it. Second, after a bite or two, we realize how good our Q is...

Usually the best food at a BBQ joint is when they open for the day. After that it begins to be effected from their holding process.

This is what I was about to say. I travel for a living and I love BBQ so I hit lots of BBQ joints all over the country. The biggest reason our own Q is better is because it is fresh. We cook, rest and eat. Restaurants have to cook and hold which sometimes means days in the cooler and then reheat it. I've been to restaurants on the road and had some of the best food ever. Then I go back months or even years later and the food is absolutely horrible.

Madman's comment also parallels this as yes we do cook the food we like once we learn how. Restaurants cook for their tastes and hope customers like it.

I feel better too! Because apparently I'm not the only person that drives miles to eat at one place only to get more food at another just because I hadn't eaten there before.:mrgreen:

Also, I love eating bbq from all over. Do I complain about this and that being worse than I could do? Yep. But at the end of the day it's bbq and it's more than likely better than 60% of the other options and I could possibly get an idea on a new side to go with my stuff.

Been to a place local to me a few times. First couple times it was awesome. The last time it sucked and the owner has become an arrogant jerk. Don't think their holding would be as bad as they only open for dinner. And they have a stupid rule of 2 drink maximum. I say good day!

At least you kinda know what you're getting at Olive Garden. We drove an hour to rainforest cafe in San Francisco and not only is it a HUGE rip off, the food is awful. The only highlight was my son's octopus ballon animal.

We've have BBQ restaurants popping up all over lately. We get BBQ for our shop meetings every once in a while from a few different places. The only good thing about any of them are they're mac & cheese and sauces. I'm not a big sauce fan and Mac & cheese isn't BBQ. The actuall BBQ from any of them is flavorless and needs a ton of sauce.

We have 2 new places in town, sauced and dickies. Both are chains and I haven't been to either. Sauced is supposed to be "the place" but super expensive and mixed reviews. Dickies reheats pre cooked Q from what I've heard. Not in a hurry to try either.

I can cook ribs, pulled pork, or brisket better that the restaurants. Or so it seems. Not a valid comparison. I cook ribs for dinner at a set time, the poor cook has the keep them ready for HOURS, open to close. And yes, quality will suffer.

Usually the best food at a BBQ joint is when they open for the day. After that it begins to be effected from their holding process.

This is what I was about to say. I travel for a living and I love BBQ so I hit lots of BBQ joints all over the country. The biggest reason our own Q is better is because it is fresh. We cook, rest and eat. Restaurants have to cook and hold which sometimes means days in the cooler and then reheat it. I've been to restaurants on the road and had some of the best food ever. Then I go back months or even years later and the food is absolutely horrible.

Madman's comment also parallels this as yes we do cook the food we like once we learn how. Restaurants cook for their tastes and hope customers like it.

I agree with all of this. The place opened at 11 a.m. I was there at 3, Told the missus that the quality would be better if we were there in the morning during opening hours. I figured the holding time was what effected the dryness of the food. I'm perfectly fine with that. Just finished off the last bit of left overs this morning. Still say I could keep up with the guy!

Honestly I'll go back there if I was in the area. Especially before I ever go back to Olive garden.

All I'm saying is I finally got a chance to try a BBQ joints BBQ and was able to compare it to what I've pulled from my cookers. Glad to know I'm on the right track! But then again I have all the knowledge in the world on this site! Bet If I tried cooking my first brisket without this site I wouldn't know to cook it til it probes tender :p

^^^^^^This is what it sounds like when you hit the nail squarely on the head.

I've eaten at almost all the supposed best bbq spots in memphis and not been blown away by any of them. I like to think I could at least match if not beat them most days. But I also give them a lot of credit for having to hold and serve over the day instead of at meal time.

Back