Wegman's Grocery Store - Pork Shoulder Butts are Currently $0.99 per pound

10.5 hours in the smoker and just broke 165° internal.

Will start looking for bone wiggle at 180°

DSCN1514_zpsth93t01x.jpg
I have one in the cooker now.....what ya think about weight loss so far?

I have one in the cooker now.....what ya think about weight loss so far?

I think the yield for Wegman's pork butts have always consistently been just above 50%, where as Hormel or Tyson is usually about 40% because of the injections. Wegman's has their own chicken and pork farms and I have always found it to be better than the other stores; but that just my personal opinion. I've never had a gasser from Wegman's (stinky pork when package is opened but quickly dissapates).

I have a large chafing pan in the bottom to collect the drippings which will be chilled and defatted while I hold/rest the meat. After the 3 -4 hour rest, the pork is pulled, defatted drippings added back into the meat, and then cooled and vac-sealed.

I think the yield for Wegman's pork butts have always consistently been just above 50%, where as Hormel or Tyson is usually about 40% because of the injections. Wegman's has their own chicken and pork farms and I have always found it to be better than the other stores; but that just my personal opinion. I've never had a gasser from Wegman's (stinky pork when package is opened but quickly dissapates).

I have a large chafing pan in the bottom to collect the drippings which will be chilled and defatted while I hold/rest the meat. After the 3 -4 hour rest, the pork is pulled, defatted drippings added back into the meat, and then cooled and vac-sealed.

Curious-when you add a pan for drippings do you a a bit of water to keep them from burning? I have a WSM and normally don't use a drippings pan. They just drop into the water pan(I use water in it, not sand, etc).

Next cook I'm gonna try catching them to mix in after I pull it.

By golly, you hit the nail on the head!!.....started out with 8.14lb butt....ended up with 4.08 pulled !
Thanks again!

Curious-when you add a pan for drippings do you a a bit of water to keep them from burning? I have a WSM and normally don't use a drippings pan. They just drop into the water pan(I use water in it, not sand, etc).

Next cook I'm gonna try catching them to mix in after I pull it.

I do use a water pan in my smoker as well, but i place the drip pan directly under the last shelf with the meat on it. I do not add water to the drip pan only to the water pan.

On a cold day like today, when you remove the drip pan the fat hardens on top of the dripping relatively quick. Lift off the fat and you have rich and smoky pork goodness to keep the meat moist and flavorful. I usually just stick it on the unused grill and close the cover just to keep it covered whit the fat solidifies. Extra drippings not used with the meat can be frozen and used in soups, gravies, and even in beans...

Back