THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any techniques out there to do LnS on the kettle but be able to use the entire rack for food?

im a noob and have been using either bank or snake method and have it down for the most part. Now I just wish I had more room to cook on. I can fit 2 racks of St.L ribs barely, would love to fit 3 or 4 though.

Another vote for rib racks.....hardly ever use them, but that's one place they would be handy.....this is 3 St. Louis in rack...two in & one flopped on top.....could have fit five, I guess.....?

MemorialsJuly2012041-1.jpg

I cram a lot on pretty often......not sure about "the whole area"....?

LastSundayApril2012021.jpg

Jan29Danaedad043.jpg

10-8-13PTampBrisket021.jpg

KenBBQ5782011012.jpg

Some kind of hover grate or riser will get you a lot of extra space.....look back in this thread, I think somebody just flipped a cooking grate over on top of the regular grate, balance on non-handle side (or both with a rock or small fire brick).....that gives enough room for ribs.....

Checked, not this thread, but somebody did that & it seemed like it would work fine.....

What a wonderful thread!

Just looking at the different eras of kettles gives me goosebumps. I literally grew up around Weber kettles.

I still do indirect babyback's on kettles because I can dial it in without thinking too much.

Everything else needing L&S or volcano heat goes on the Primo ceramic.

I just picked up a Weber Kettle premium last week and am learning a lot reading through the forum. I smoked my first rack of baby backs a couple of days ago and they came out fantastic.

Another vote for rib racks.....hardly ever use them, but that's one place they would be handy.....this is 3 St. Louis in rack...two in & one flopped on top.....could have fit five, I guess.....?

MemorialsJuly2012041-1.jpg

I cram a lot on pretty often......not sure about "the whole area"....?

LastSundayApril2012021.jpg

Jan29Danaedad043.jpg

10-8-13PTampBrisket021.jpg

KenBBQ5782011012.jpg

Some kind of hover grate or riser will get you a lot of extra space.....look back in this thread, I think somebody just flipped a cooking grate over on top of the regular grate, balance on non-handle side (or both with a rock or small fire brick).....that gives enough room for ribs.....

Checked, not this thread, but somebody did that & it seemed like it would work fine.....

I use 3 vegetable cans and set the grate from my 18" on top of them.

DSC01761.md.jpg

That is, turn a second 22" grate upside down on the handles, balance with 2 pcs of wood chunk, you get 2 layers of smoking on a 22.

Last edited:
New legs and axle 10 inches higher

p606366044.gif

heavy duty flashing for divider and on bottom grate to meet the divider

p891492294.gif

Intake air and probe entrance

p863062849-2.jpg

and we're cooking

p700082692.gif

I have a question concerning "landarc's" very first post/photos on page 1. He says the charcoal burned for 8 hours at 275F. I assume that isn't long enough for an 14-lb packer, or is it? If not, what do you do? Clean out all the ash and start with fresh unlit coals?

Also, what does the pizza pan do on top of the skillet? Thanks.

EDIT: Now, how come I don't see the photos in post #1 from my laptop, but I can see them from my phone??

Last edited:
I have a question concerning "landarc's" very first post/photos on page 1. He says the charcoal burned for 8 hours at 275F. I assume that isn't long enough for an 14-lb packer, or is it? If not, what do you do? Clean out all the ash and start with fresh unlit coals?

Also, what does the pizza pan do on top of the skillet? Thanks.

EDIT: Now, how come I don't see the photos in post #1 from my laptop, but I can see them from my phone??

He said. "The charcoal burned, counter-clockwise, around to about 8 o'clock in that photo." That still leaves at least 1/3 of the unlit charcoal. You can always add more charcoal at the end of the snake.

I believe that the pizza pan serves as a diffuser.

As for the photos, for some reason his photos are sen as malware by some computers, such as mine. I can only see them using Chrome.

Great thread, I will be watching this one, and re-visiting it frequently. I just got a Weber 22" and all these ideas are amazing. Thank you all for sharing them!

I don't have pics at moment. I took the charcoal baskets apart and set the solid metal band aside. Put the "L" shaped piece back in grill with 13x5 non stick pan on bottom angle of baskets and whola you have 2 dividers for coals. Since water pan sits on basket bottom it gives just right amount of coals on either or both sides with plenty of support. No more buying disposable aluminum pans. I bought the non stick pan for cheaper. I will be using rib racks on the 4th.

I made an expanded metal ring about 3/4 way around the kettle to hold the ring of fire in place, and it allows me to load the ring 3 or 4 deep with extra wood chunks for an extended fire. Can easily get 8 or more hours around 275* plus out of it. Plenty of time for a good size brisket. Also leaves place for a drip pan in the middle.

Omar

Just the standard Smokenator / Hovergrill / PartyQ setup for me. This cook has a pork butt in the bottom, 2 racks of spares and a few beef bones with room to spare.

20150817_130415.jpg

My question is, will 16 lbs of butt fit on a 22? I am contemplating whether I pull out my big smoker this weekend or just use the kettle to smoke 2-8lb butts.

Back