First ribs using Slow ‘N Sear - Impressed

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
Today I decided to try making ribs using my new Slow ‘N Sear in my Weber Performer.

I followed the lighting and setup instructions that came with it and alternated small apple and hickory chunks across the top of the charcoal. (3 apple and 2 hickory). I put water in the troth and a pan with apple juice and water on the grate to add flavor and buffer the heat. I didn’t pre heat the water but that didn’t seem to matter.

I set the dome temp to 250°f assuming that the grate temp was closer to 225° The ribs took longer than normal so I may shoot for 300° dome temp next time, or even better, I may get a grate level thermometer.

The ribs came out great and the flavor was fantastic. I got the same flavor profile that I get on my WSM and the setup and cleanup is a lot easier, and it uses a lot less charcoal. I plan on tweaking a few things while learning to use it, but I am very happy with my first attempt.

I used Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction for the rub, and used sweet baby Ray’s near the end to set. (My wife like them sweet).

Here are some photos.

Just out of the wrap.
D802-D784-95-EC-4423-820-B-300-C43-EBBBC8.jpg

Finished.

5611-FD10-A1-BD-425-C-9791-D926-D0-B38767.jpg

510-E1-DAD-0516-4077-BD49-7-E40-B44-F8-FCC.jpg

Last edited:
Great job! Those ribs have the look of umptuous, smoked, bacon fat. And, my favorite pork rub and sauce. Hey...are you me?

Unfortunately I have to take what I can get since covid started. The ribs last year were downright terrible. These fatty ribs are an improvement, the rest in the display case looked like pure fat and bones. The local supermarket had Chairman’s Reserve ribs for a while earlier this year, but they don't always have them.

Good job! The SnS is good at everything even though it doesn't excel at anything, it's definitely the best all-in-one accessory for the kettle

Back