First time pulled pork on Weber kettle- advice?

Is there a better cut of pork I could use next time?

Not sure what's available near you, but if you're looking for pulled pork or chopped pork barbecue, the standard is a pork shoulder - that's typically broken down into a "pork butt" and "picnic shoulder." Both work just fine, and provide a significantly larger amount of meat to work with.

Just a suggestion for next time.

Not sure what's available near you, but if you're looking for pulled pork or chopped pork barbecue, the standard is a pork shoulder - that's typically broken down into a "pork butt" and "picnic shoulder." Both work just fine, and provide a significantly larger amount of meat to work with.

Just a suggestion for next time.

You live in abq?

Hey Kev, just read your post. 3 things I would recommend.

1. Know your grill temperature. There are many devices that will show it to you without lifting the lid.

2. Safe done temp for pork is 135*F (57*C). For pulled pork shoot for 195-200*F (93*C). Some folks want pork slices and cook to lower temp so it will slice. Know the internal cook temp of your meat in the deepest part.

3. Use more coal. Go between 225 and 275*F (135*C). Know your grill temp and don't forget the Golden rule here. If your looking Your not cooking.

Good Luck!

FYI, Malcom Reed, one of the best pit masters out there, just did a video of this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfpwIp7etc

The above link is a spot on tutorial for how to cook a pork butt in a Weber kettle. As Malcom says, you do not have to use a Vortex (although I suggest you buy one because it is a great tool), you can use an aluminum pan or nothing at all.

Tip: aluminum pan on charcoal grate helps keep the kettle cleaner during the cook as it catches the juices. Some folks cook in the aluminum pan with meat on a rack as he does mid cook for the entire cook. That is cooks choice.

Slow-N-Sear method should work as well. I own one, but bought it for the searing capabilities and have never used to smoke with.

If you watch the above video, pay particular attention to the portion when he wraps the butt. Notice that he places a thermometer in the meat before wrapping. Why do you suppose he does that? As we answer that question, let's forget for a moment that he is hawking his own products and probably those of his sponsors? I don't begrudge that, great for him. The answer is Malcom knows that cooking the butt to 200 degrees in the center of the meat, he is going to have a hunk meat that will make great pulled pork. And he doesn't have to lift the lid multiple times to stick a thermometer into the meat multiple times to see if it has reached probe tender. When the alarm goes off at 200, he knows his product is going to be finished and ready to pull 95% plus times without fail.

A meat thermometer is a tool. Don't be afraid to use it. You can use a rock to drive a nail or you can use a hammer or even a nail gun. Which would you prefer?

A Thermoworks Dot is $43.00, sometimes as low as $36.00 on sale. Ink bird four probe is about $50.00.

Kevin, keep trying.

Robert

Back