Weber kettle grate

Tkruse

Knows what a fatty is.
I need to replace my grates on my 22" kettle. What's everyone's preference on stainless steel vs chrome plated and why? Also, is seasoning of the grates ecommended and if so, what's your recommendations on how to season properly? Thanks in advance.

The quality at Weber has been going downhill since the family stopped running the business. The older chrome ones from Weber lasted a very long time. The replacement one I bought from Weber a few years ago started rusting a few months after I bought it. After that I decided to make the switch to stainless and love that I’ll never have to worry about rusted grates again. The KillaGrilla stainless grate I bought for my 22” was probably the best you could get, but he recently retired. That one was made out of 1/4” rod and was built like a tank. I just picked up two Hunsaker stainless steel grates for my 18” WSM this week and the quality is excellent. The metal diameter on these ones are on par or slightly thicker than the factory grates.

I didn’t do anything special to season the stainless steel grates, I just use them and clean them like a regular grate.

Here is the KillaGrilla 22” grate:
34229-C4-C-F6-A2-4-C7-B-A482-E580052-CA164.jpg

Here are the 18” Husaker stainless grates that just arrived yesterday.
IMG-5019.jpg

Last edited:
Low quality imported metal plating is problem on so many things, but so much more on a grate, with the heat, ash, and salts and food contact. Also, quality of stainless alloy varies greatly, and you see that in reviews. It is surprising Weber doesn't offer a quality SS grate.

I have a couple older 22" kettles and want to use a vortex. I understand that will destroy the plating. Stainless is obviously the way. Wondering if I need a removable center for vortex if the grate is SS? Or is it unnecessary with the SS?

My grates have flip up sides, which is great for adding wood and moving charcoal, etc.

Low quality imported metal plating is problem on so many things, but so much more on a grate, with the heat, ash, and salts and food contact. Also, quality of stainless alloy varies greatly, and you see that in reviews. It is surprising Weber doesn't offer a quality SS grate.

I have a couple older 22" kettles and want to use a vortex. I understand that will destroy the plating. Stainless is obviously the way. Wondering if I need a removable center for vortex if the grate is SS? Or is it unnecessary with the SS?

My grates have flip up sides, which is great for adding wood and moving charcoal, etc.

The KillaGrilla grate ,which is made of 1/4” diameter stainless rods, can handle the vortex no problem! See photos below of mine. Unfortunately you can’t get them anymore because the owner retired. I assume a Hunsaker stainless grate would hold up to the vortex.

IMG-4973.jpg

IMG-4977.jpg

I have a stainless with the outside edges hinged so I can add charcoal or wood chunks for longer cooks.

I bought the SNS kit for my 26" weber kettle. I sometimes go a month or more without cooking on it since I got my Workhorse 1975t, so it mainly just does small cooks like dove kabobs or quick burgers and dogs.

I don't make a mess and use my grill brush after each use, but sitting outside in the N Florida sun with grease on it, I can just scrub them and the stainless shines like new again. I like that 1/3 of the grate still opens so I can add charcoal and wood if it gets low or fire isn't hot or smoky enough.

I bought a KillaGrilla stainless steel grate for my 22" & 18" kettles. Both are hinged so you can add more charcoal. They are built like a tank and easy to clean, but as others have mentioned, the owner recently retired.

There is a stainless steel grate from Big Poppa Smokers ($69) that is a solid "non-hinged" grate that can handle the vortex. I initially used it on my 22" kettle, but put it on my WMS after I discovered KillaGrilla's stainless steel hinged grates. But it's fine on the kettle if you don't need to add charcoal during the cook. Whenever I use a vortex, I've never needed to add charcoal during the cook, so this grate might be an option for you.

A stainless steel grate with a removable center for the 22" Weber kettle is available from Hunsakers. The online price is $99 (not including shipping). I don't have one but it looks interesting, and it even has a hinged side if you are placing charcoal on one side or using an SNS. I might just get one down the road.

I went with the SnS stainless grate and have been very happy with it. Going on 4 years of heavy use and it's holding up really well.

I'll never buy another plated steel grate. The last one I bought from Weber rusted and started flaking nickel after 2 uses.

Stainless is superior. Even if it shows surface rust, you can scrub it off and oil it without fear of chrome or nickel flaking off on your food, and they don't get pitted like the plated steel.

Well worth a modest increase in the price.

I believe the SnS branded one is 30% off right now, and they sometimes offer 40% off on black Friday sales.

Yep, 30% off, I just got one, $63, nice!

Thanks for bringing the sale to my attention.

Back