Warming frozen BBQ turkey-breast, sous vide?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello everyone,
I have some small frozen smoked boneless turkey breasts. After they rested and cooled, I vac packed then in their juices and clarified herb butter.
To rehab them to maintain maximum moisture, how should I reheat these? Should I thaw in fridge then bring up to temp using sous vide? If so, what temp & for how long?
Thanks in advance?
JD

I like the SV method , 140 is what I shoot for and time is up to you as it won't over cook per say but might get fall apart tender if too long. Not sure how long too long is but suspect 2 hours should have temps up to the center

No need to thaw. Get the water to 150 and throw them in. Time will depend on mass. I'd give it 4 hours to be sure. Just be aware the skin, if any, will be garbage.

Depends how you vac pac'd them. I always slice and vac seal in half pound serving portions. I dip them in the melted butter from the foil wrap before I vac seal, then they go in the freezer. To reheat, I bring a pot of water to a boil, drop it in for ten minutes from frozen, and they come out perfect every time (the bags are BPA free and boil safe).

I actually sell it a s a side hustle and every one that has bought it says they love it. I do brisket and pulled pork the same way (minus the butter of course).

Depends how you vac pac'd them. I always slice and vac seal in half pound serving portions. I dip them in the melted butter from the foil wrap before I vac seal, then they go in the freezer. To reheat, I bring a pot of water to a boil, drop it in for ten minutes from frozen, and they come out perfect every time (the bags are BPA free and boil safe).

I actually sell it a s a side hustle and every one that has bought it says they love it. I do brisket and pulled pork the same way (minus the butter of course).

Thanks brother. Gotta love side hustles! That's a great idea & you must have a reputation for producing a good product.

The small boneless skinless turkey breast was placed in bag whole. As I was resting & cooling the breast, I solidified the herb butter. I out some of the solidified herb butter on each side of the beast in the bag so when reheated, it would be basing in the herb butter. The turkey breasts were between just under 2 lbs to just barley over 3 lbs.

I find it interesting how opinions and techniques differ.

I was concerned that sous vide from frozen would have the meat in the danger zone for longer than thawing in fridge.

I suppose my question is, is there more of a risk over cooking longer at low temp (i.e. 140) or shorter at higher temp (i.e. boiling)?

Respectfully,
JD

Thanks brother. Gotta love side hustles! That's a great idea & you must have a reputation for producing a good product.

The small boneless skinless turkey breast was placed in bag whole. As I was resting & cooling the breast, I solidified the herb butter. I out some of the solidified herb butter on each side of the beast in the bag so when reheated, it would be basing in the herb butter. The turkey breasts were between just under 2 lbs to just barley over 3 lbs.

I find it interesting how opinions and techniques differ.

I was concerned that sous vide from frozen would have the meat in the danger zone for longer than thawing in fridge.

I suppose my question is, is there more of a risk over cooking longer at low temp (i.e. 140) or shorter at higher temp (i.e. boiling)?

Respectfully,
JD

Yeah it was kind of funny, I started packing my leftover's that way right when I got my vac sealer, and the side hustle was a happy accident as a result of it. My better half informed me one day that I was taking up too much freezer space and that I needed to get rid of some stuff. So I gave it to some friends and co-workers. Several of them told me it was good enough to sell and that I should think about doing that.... so I did lol.

Since you pac'd it whole, I would thaw it in the fridge, then drop it in the sous vide bath at 165 for a couple hours. The butter will keep it from drying out and it should be fine. Just keep the other method in mind for next time though. It's super convenient, because there is no thawing required, it's individually portioned, and it's ready to eat in ten minutes straight from the freezer.

Back