Turkey Breasts: How do I smoke these?

I sent this to a friend last week when he asked for my method. I've found it doesn't matter whether or not the turkey has solution added.

TEXAS TURKEY BREAST
Use Butterball if possible. It makes a difference. I use Chud's wet brine (5% by weight salt, 5% by weight citrus, 5 crushed garlic cloves, peppercorns, herbs, etc). Remove skin. Brine for 2 hrs/lb. Remove and rest in the fridge for a couple hours if possible. Add 16 mesh black pepper and granulated garlic. Cook @ 250 - 275 to an IT of 155. Wrap in foil with butter. Instead of pouring all the butter on top like Chud, just put 1 stick of butter on top and then wrap (like Jirby). You can also eliminate the butter, but it tastes better if you use it. Let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in the tinfoil. Women will love you and your friends and family will admire you. This my friend, will change your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0ARg-ohf4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Q2z3q4XoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDa9VJcFppE

Thanks again for this.
It's pretty much what I'm going to do. One additional thing I'll do, like Chud did, is I'll make calcified herb butter to baste with.
JD

I cook turkey breasts essentially two ways: clean, and dirty. I always take off the skin and brine overnight in a 5% (by weight) salt solution, and either:

a. cover in coarse black pepper, salt, and garlic powder; clean smoke on the offset at 250f for 3-4 hours until 150f internal, then foil wrap with honey or butter and let it rest 2 hours off the cooker, or

b. cover in mayo, some BBQ rub, and hit it with dirty smoke for 2 hours at 200-225f, finishing off at 300f for 2 more hours until 150f internal, then foil wrap etc. This is how Jirby / Jonny White cooks his turkey breasts for Goldee's (not necessarily the mayo part)

I tend to prefer method A because I'm more used to clean-tasting turkey breast, I'm not a fan of heavily smoked poultry but I tried B a couple of times and it's nice too. Independently of which kind of cooker you're using, the gist is remove skin, brine, rub (watch out for extra salt), smoke at 250f, wrap at 150f in butter/tallow/honey and let it rest/coast for an hour or two

Thanks,
My question is, if one isn't looking for heavy smoke on turkey, why do at 225 - 250, instead of 275 - 300? Especially of one is going to foil and baste in butter.
JD

I didn't read the replies. But I let brine in vegetable stock for 24 hrs. Then I cook it hot & fast until 165° internal. I just do basic rub of SPOG and a coating of paprika for nice color. Sometimes I inject, sometimes I don't. I don't like adding smoke flavor to turkey....just a personal preference. I think apple is the way to go if you do want smoke.

I have a turkey boob defrosting right now to cook on Saturday. Likely going to do it on my Weber kettle.

I didn't read the replies. But I let brine in vegetable stock for 24 hrs. Then I cook it hot & fast until 165° internal. I just do basic rub of SPOG and a coating of paprika for nice color. Sometimes I inject, sometimes I don't. I don't like adding smoke flavor to turkey....just a personal preference. I think apple is the way to go if you do want smoke.

I have a turkey boob defrosting right now to cook on Saturday. Likely going to do it on my Weber kettle.

Thanks,
So you just allow the natural salt content of the vegetable stock to brine it? Does the favor of the vegetable stock add flavor to the bird? I'm assuming that you're using good quality home mead stock & that you add seasoning and herds to your vegetable stock. Is that a correct assumption?
Also, what is "hot and fast" temp to you? 325ish?
Thanks again,
JD

Thanks,
My question is, if one isn't looking for heavy smoke on turkey, why do at 225 - 250, instead of 275 - 300? Especially of one is going to foil and baste in butter.
JD

I find that when cooking a turkey breast at 275-300 it finishes really quickly compared to 250 throughout and the smoke profile is really mild; to me 250f is a sweet spot

I find that when cooking a turkey breast at 275-300 it finishes really quickly compared to 250 throughout and the smoke profile is really mild; to me 250f is a sweet spot

Thank you very much Sando!

This is really important info for me to know.
To clarify, are you saying that 275 to 300 it finishes too quickly? What are the downsides to that, too little smoke flavor?
Are you also saying that at 250, the smoke profiles is really mild?

I'm wondering what cooker you're using, i.e. stick burner, vs charcoal cooker w/ added wood chunks.

Respectfully,
JD

Thank you very much Sando!

This is really important info for me to know.
To clarify, are you saying that 275 to 300 it finishes too quickly? What are the downsides to that, too little smoke flavor?
Are you also saying that at 250, the smoke profiles is really mild?

I'm wondering what cooker you're using, i.e. stick burner, vs charcoal cooker w/ added wood chunks.

Respectfully,
JD

When I cook 275-300 I find that the turkey breast finishes way too quickly and the smoke flavor is pretty mild, whereas 250 gives me a good balance. I usually smoke on the stick burner, sometimes the PKTX with some post oak chunks

Texas Style, brined and skinless, with a pepper (or pastrami) rub is my favorite although I've used netting for my cured loins with good results.

PQxP8uQ.jpg

KFWLhj3.jpg

When I cook 275-300 I find that the turkey breast finishes way too quickly and the smoke flavor is pretty mild, whereas 250 gives me a good balance. I usually smoke on the stick burner, sometimes the PKTX with some post oak chunks

Thanks again Sandro,

The guests that I am cooking for might not enjoy smoke as much as we do.
I may shoot for a range of 255 - 275 - The KBQ works within a range.
I'll use apple, perhaps a little cherry for color.

I'll brine with salt, maple syrup, and herbs. I'll rub w/ black pepper, garlic & onion powder, and paprika. I'll baste w/ clarified herb butter & maple syrup, after bark & color are established. I'll rest wrapped in butter.

One last question, after you pull from the brine, do you drain and rinse to remove any excess surface salt? Also, what is the sweet spot time for brining boneless breast, 12 hours, or is that too much? I did a whole chicken for 24 hours once and it was too much. It turns out too salty.

Thanks in advance! I'll post a report w/ pics.

Best regards,
JD

One last question, after you pull from the brine, do you drain and rinse to remove any excess surface salt? Also, what is the sweet spot time for brining boneless breast, 12 hours, or is that too much? I did a whole chicken for 24 hours once and it was too much. It turns out too salty.

I do rinse off under running water and pat it dry before seasoning (no salt!) and usually go for an overnight brine (6 to 8 hours) although I haven't really found a difference when going for a full 12. As long as the brine is 5% salt by weight you should be safe

I do rinse off under running water and pat it dry before seasoning (no salt!) and usually go for an overnight brine (6 to 8 hours) although I haven't really found a difference when going for a full 12. As long as the brine is 5% salt by weight you should be safe
Thanks again brother!
JD

Thanks,
So you just allow the natural salt content of the vegetable stock to brine it? Does the favor of the vegetable stock add flavor to the bird? I'm assuming that you're using good quality home mead stock & that you add seasoning and herds to your vegetable stock. Is that a correct assumption?
Also, what is "hot and fast" temp to you? 325ish?
Thanks again,
JD

I use the store brand veggie stock on the shelf in the soup aisle. Nothing fancy and it does the trick. I may chuck in a bay leaf if I'm feeling frisky and that's it. It does add flavor to the meat......a noticeably good flavor.

For hot & fast, I'd guess I'm doing 350-375°. It crisps up the skin. I run a temp probe so I don't over cook it.

I use the store brand veggie stock on the shelf in the soup aisle. Nothing fancy and it does the trick. I may chuck in a bay leaf if I'm feeling frisky and that's it. It does add flavor to the meat......a noticeably good flavor.

For hot & fast, I'd guess I'm doing 350-375°. It crisps up the skin. I run a temp probe so I don't over cook it.

Thanks!
I'd have never thought of vegetable stock to brine. I wonder what the salt volume is as compared to the volume of the turkey. I think most recommend 5% salt as compared to the weight of the bird.
JD

This is what I did. I got the recipes from Susie from Hey Grill Hey. Sounded good to me.

When I got my brisket from Wild Fork, I figured while I'm there, so I grabbed two boneless skin on turkey breasts. Everything there is frozen. I'm not thrilled w/ Wild Fork but that's another topic.

Thawed the two breasts, and my OCD kicked in. I figured if I taking the time and fuel to smoke two, why not do 4. So I grabbed two more fresh boneless breasts at the Amish Market.

Made clarified herb butter: After I clarified 2 lbs of unsalted butter, I simmered it in a quartered onion, 5 cloves garlic, large bunch each - fresh thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, and shake of whole pepper corns. Then I strained the herbs out.

Brined: 4 cups apple cider, 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup Kosher salt, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 2 tables sweet bbq rub, 1 tbls garlic powder, 1 tbls onion powder, 1/2 tbls each - dry parsley, rubbed sage, dry thyme leaves, ground rosemary

Slathered w/ Mayo

Rubbed: 3 tbls dark brown sugar, 2 tbs paprika, 1 tbs coarse fresh ground black pepper, 1 tbs garlic powder, 1 tbs onion powder, 1 tbs dry thyme leaves, 1 tbs crashed rosemnay, 1/2 tsp rubbed sage, 1 tbs celery seed, 1 tbs dry parsley

Smoked till 150 in apple wood.

Basted in herb butter, covered and took to 160.
Re-basted and covered to rest

See pics below.
I'll report back on flavor.
Best regards!
JD

Attachments

• IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 42
Lookin good from here.

Thanks.
I hope they taste as good as the look and smell.
Moisture is always the challenge w/ poultry.
I cooled - solidified the herb butter and put some around it in each bag and vacuum packed & froze them. These are intended for a latter date.
I'll let ya know how they turn out. 1st one will get eaten latter this week. They'll get reheated in the bag using a sous vide.
JD

Back