Sous Vide Turkey?

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Has anyone ever Sous Vide a Turkey?

I have to do two Turkeys this Thanksgiving.
Its always a pain with company over.

I'm thinking of sous viding a 20# turkey overnight to 130* IT and then smoking it until a IT of 155*

Thoughts?

I would almost do it the other way around…smoke the day before, but pull up a bit shorter on IT — maybe 140 or so. Then, break down, vac seal, and reheat / keep warm at 145 or 150 for maybe 3 to 4 hours before serving. Maybe crisp up skin under broiler or over charcoal, or on gasser just before serving.

I've removed the fillets from the breast and tied them together for a roast and SV'd that but not a full breast or a full bird. What kind of container would you use? An ice chest? Circulators have a volume limit so you might need two?

I have a restaurant style tub with lid I use. It should fit. If not, an have to use a cooler, I have two units.

If you want to Sous Vide a whole turkey or chicken you will have to break it down in to piece parts. The cavity will cause a problem for you. I would break it down into breasts, thighs and legs.

You can also smoke it early, slice and vac seal then sous vide that to bring it up to temp. That is my plan for Thanksgiving. Doing Turkey and Brisket early, vac seal, sous vide on Thanksgiving day.

I would rather cook a turkey on a smoker/grill/turkey fryer in advance then portion, vacuum seal, and reheat using SV the day of than use the SV as the primary cooking method. Kind of best of both worlds with the former method, IMO.

I did a skin-on turkey breast last year. Scalded, injected (Oakridge Game Changer), smoked then sous vide. I'm not a big turkey fan, but it was good. I'm hoping for a repeat performance this year.

This year will be my 4th year preparing Turkey this way. I break it down into pieces, salt and a tiny tiny bit of sugar on the pieces. let it sit in the fridge over night in the dry brine. The next day add fresh rosemary, thyme and sage and pepper to the bag and seal it. Sous Vide at 145 for 12 hours or longer. When ready take out put on the grill/smoker until Brown crispy skin. Never had a better turkey before and probably won't in the future.

This year will be my 4th year preparing Turkey this way. I break it down into pieces, salt and a tiny tiny bit of sugar on the pieces. let it sit in the fridge over night in the dry brine. The next day add fresh rosemary, thyme and sage and pepper to the bag and seal it. Sous Vide at 145 for 12 hours or longer. When ready take out put on the grill/smoker until Brown crispy skin. Never had a better turkey before and probably won't in the future.

This is looking promising.

Seperate the leg/quarters from the breast and sous vide at different temps. Thats the best way. 155F for breast, 175F for leg/quarter. I deep fry in my turkey fryer after its cooked sous vide.

Alright
I’m going to break two birds down.
Two separate units.
White 145*
Dark 155*

Then smoke until crispy.

Two questions:
1. Suggestions on smoking temp?
2. Will the meat take on smoke at those temps?

You could do a spatchcocked turkey if you can find a bag to fit it in.

However, I recommend breaking it down and cooking white meat and dark meat separately. Before T day, I typically confit the dark meat, so sealed with some turkey, duck or bacon fat and cooking pretty hot till fall off the bone, then searing in a hot cast iron right before eating. For the breast, remove the skin (you can cook it separately) and cook 2 hours before eating however you want to SV white meat

I have two birds: a 20# and a 12#
Dry brine some and wet brine some.
The Naturiffic Harvest Brine arrived today.

I too am using the Big Easy Oilless Turkey fryer for the 6th year. It's been the best we've had. Truss and inject the night before. In at 7:00 AM. Out around 11:00 AM. Company arrives at 1:00 PM. Works great every year. I have a sous vide but would smoke it first too then portion it for that. Good luck with your cook!

I SV turkey breasts every year. As others have said you need to part it out. I inject with light seasoning. Once done I season some more and hit it with map gas torch until color right and skin crispy. Turns out great every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back