Ware's Jambo Backyard

Unless you have a really big fire that needs more air you just adjust the exhaust.

This. The damper plate on the firebox door is pretty much set and forget - hence the bolts for adjustment, versus using a daisy wheel. Fine tuning is done at the butterfly stack damper.

This. The damper plate on the firebox door is pretty much set and forget - hence the bolts for adjustment, versus using a daisy wheel. Fine tuning is done at the butterfly stack damper.

In general, from the looks of it, I assume there's not a whole lot of airflow in his design? Or do those little holes do more work than they look like?

In general, from the looks of it, I assume there's not a whole lot of airflow in his design? Or do those little holes do more work than they look like?

I think the draft process draws the airflow you need. The adjustable plate that covers the holes in the firebox door mainly just prevents excess "forced air" from entering the firebox under breezy conditions. The butterfly in the exhaust stack is used to throttle the draft. In other words, adequate airflow/temp control is achieved by running a small, hot fire.

Does that make sense? I could be totally wrong.

Beautiful pit, Congrats!

I'm guessing from the pic below that sometimes you have friends in high places. :becky:

Friends + jib. :wink:

Jambo2.jpg

I think the draft process draws the airflow you need. The adjustable plate that covers the holes in the firebox door mainly just prevents excess "forced air" from entering the firebox under breezy conditions. The butterfly in the exhaust stack is used to throttle the draft. In other words, adequate airflow/temp control is achieved by running a small, hot fire.

Does that make sense? I could be totally wrong.

Sorry to ask this but it's still got clear to me. So how do you adjust the intake on the firebox side if the butterflies are on the inside? Does it just stay open all the time?

Also, how do you get ash out. It seems like there is a lip. Is there a pan or something so you can lift it all out? Thanks in advance.

Looks like an awesome smoker, congrats. You think the price hike was worth it in terms of performance gain? 5" smokestack is a big pipe, when you cooked on it did you ever have it full open?

Sorry to ask this but it's still got clear to me. So how do you adjust the intake on the firebox side if the butterflies are on the inside? Does it just stay open all the time?

Also, how do you get ash out. It seems like there is a lip. Is there a pan or something so you can lift it all out? Thanks in advance.

Looks like you need a socket or a wrench. Loosen the outside bolts for more air, tighten to seal.... :wacko:

Congrats on the beautiful pit.

Looks like you need a socket or a wrench. Loosen the outside bolts for more air, tighten to seal.... :wacko:

Yeah, I guess. So you just keep a socket wrench out there all the time or do you not open and close it? Also, How do you get ash out. Is there a tool of some sort? removable ash pan?

Sorry for the delayed response...

When I reference the butterfly, I'm talking about the one at the top of the stack.

The grate in the firebox lifts out and I scoop it out with a small fireplace shovel. To get it really clean, I use a shop vac.

Looks like an awesome smoker, congrats. You think the price hike was worth it in terms of performance gain? 5" smokestack is a big pipe, when you cooked on it did you ever have it full open?

Honestly, I didn't start looking at them until after the price increase was in effect, so it was what it was. The new price sounded fair, so I bought it.

The 5" stack looks great. It's wide open during start-up, but not while cooking. Of course I guess it depends on the size of your fire.

I don't adjust the intake plate during the cook. I've tuned it to the size fire I like to run, then fine tuning of temp is done with the stack damper only.

Back