Befart!!!!!!!

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I know that this could be considered Comp worthy, but it's really about smoking a protein.
Today I judged a backyard comp that yearly raises money for a town citizen with Cancer that needs real financial help. Good comp always gets my attendance.

My brothers in smoke by the hundreds, how many of you are experienced in smoking a BEEF HEART??
So the organizers gives 24 backyard cooks a beef heart and says cook this and give it to our judges. I can imagine an expert chef could make an edible dish with it but believe me these guys weren't that!!!!
First time I've come home from a contest wishing I hadn't went.
How many of you have cooked a beef heart.....more than once?
Ed

I have to my knowledge and recollection never eaten beef heart. Not to say I would turn it down if offered the entree, but I have never seen it raw, cooked, or served on my plate. I pride myself on sampling exotic meats and I would boast that I have cooked more weird critters, parts or whole, that most participants on this forum. So if I were a judge, I would sample the entry, even if I knew in advance what I was judging. Most contest I have judged have had the instructions that you do not compare what you have expected or what you have previously judged so I would have no perceived bias as to judging.

As to the cooking part..........I have the misfortune of smelling what boiled beer heart smells like. My former roommate would boil beef hearts to help him with his anatomy tests during his chiropractic studies. Luckily I was not there when these study sessions occurred, but I could tell by the smell, what had been going on around the house after the study session had ended. I wasn't happy with that smell but I was happy with the smell of the house after he had run off a batch of 'shine. Good times, bad times, you know I've my share......................

Love me some chicken hearts, but beef hearts, are we serving them whole? If so, pass.

I've done plenty of beef or lamb hearts. Definitely not a good choice for smoking but great for grilling. It needs no more than 15 mins over hot coals otherwise it'll turn into shoe leather. If you like chicken gizzards or bull fries AKA Rocky Mountain Oysters then you will love beef heart. I do. You have to trim pretty aggressively do clean any sinew, gristles and veins but it's good stuff.

The left four skewers are beef heart

fSz5pwXh.jpg

My Nonno and I made beef hearts , potatoes and onions once for lunch 30+ years ago. Pretty good, but never had them again.

As a judge you have no control over what the organizer has up his sleeve. I've never been afraid of new foods and to my memory have never gotten up from the table yelling "no way in hell".
there was a BH taco, a BH slider, sample made of bigger chunks were unpleasant!
The two best were slices about 1/4" cut across the grain, one with a horseradish based vegetable sauce, and a second sliced similarly with just a spot of Poupon mustard.
A perfect chance to judge an entry without any previous bias.
Ed

Have grilled beef kidney medium rare...was pretty good. No experience grilling or smoking beef heart. Only beef heart I've had is as a topping for coney dogs, which is really good. A few recipes in the link: Michigan’s Coney Sauces: Beef Heart? Kidneys?? The Realities Await

Never cared for beef liver despite smothering it in onions on the stove. Is liver any good grilled or smoked?

Have grilled beef kidney medium rare...was pretty good. No experience grilling or smoking beef heart. Only beef heart I've had is as a topping for coney dogs, which is really good. A few recipes in the link: Michigan’s Coney Sauces: Beef Heart? Kidneys?? The Realities Await

Never cared for beef liver despite smothering it in onions on the stove. Is liver any good grilled or smoked?

I came to say this. I wonder how many have eaten some organ meat unknowingly with their coney dogs

We've eaten beef heart a lot when I was a kid, probably cause it was cheap...we stewed it though in a light sauerbraten type stew that my Bavarian grandma made. very good, and I've used the recipe for deer, pig hearts and other game meats.

Being a lean meat I don't think smoking would be a preferred cooking method.

Erik, my BIL and I and a couple of friends do a liver cook once a year or so. Our preferred method is on the grill. The key is to not over cook it.......We think it's great.

I haven't had beef heart since I was a kid. I'd try it again though.....

I've never cooked, or eaten, beef heart but I tell myself I'll pretty much try anything once. Closest I've had would be bear heart my uncle cooked up. Wasn't bad, a little minerally but I'd eat it again. :wacko:

Back