Want a Shirley?

Here is a question:

Shirley owners, would you sell your Shirley Cooker for $1,000 over price? I am talking about at least a cabinet model 24X60 with warmer on a trailer.

I bring this up because there is a small but disturbing trend starting to happen with Jambo's. People are pricing 3,4,5 year old models $2K-3K over cost and getting it. Heck, folks are selling their Jambo's before they roll out of the shop based on their spot in line. Sometimes earning $4K+ on their rig.

I do not like it, but it is happening.

and surely they are losing customers by not increasing production.

This may be true but those who are getting a Shirley down the road instead of what is available right now are kind of like the guy who waits to find the perfect Shelby Mustang instead of the 73 Vega that is already sitting on the lot for sale

This may be true but those who are getting a Shirley down the road instead of what is available right now are kind of like the guy who waits to find the perfect Shelby Mustang instead of the 73 Vega that is already sitting on the lot for sale

That is quite the exaggeration. Their smokers look nice, but there are others who know how weld together a nice smoker as well. It seems to me their main advantage over others in that category is price, and you have to factor in time waiting as a non-monetary cost so long lead times will change the value proposition for some buyers.

The phenomenon goes beyond the SF cookers, all the custom builders have substantially increased their lead times. This is a testament to the quality of their product. Not all of us have the talent, equipment and time to build our own so I am thankful there are fabricators out there willing to accept the risk to put out great products that allow us all to follow our passion for great QUE. The market will rise and fall with the demand, consider Weber there are Webers that sell for less than $99.00 and over $2,000.00 only because the market will bear it.

I know Shirley's are great cookers, but when did the general forum become a place for advertising? Are you guys a sponsor now or something?

Just asking.

The purpose of the forum is to discuss all things related to BBQ.Reverse flow stick burners are one of those topics.The Shirley Fab. smoker happens to be one of the most popular, if not the most popular reverse flow stick burner on this forum.Now there is a lot of quality stick burners being built by other fabricators,but you would be hard pressed to match their quality at any price. I have a Lang 60 deluxe and love it.But If I were buying a new smoker,it would most likely be a Shirley Fab.

Here is a question:

Shirley owners, would you sell your Shirley Cooker for $1,000 over price? I am talking about at least a cabinet model 24X60 with warmer on a trailer.

I bring this up because there is a small but disturbing trend starting to happen with Jambo's. People are pricing 3,4,5 year old models $2K-3K over cost and getting it. Heck, folks are selling their Jambo's before they roll out of the shop based on their spot in line. Sometimes earning $4K+ on their rig.

I got a 30x70 raised straight trailer I'd sell for 3k over retail :becky:. Would help to put a deposit down on my next one. Always planning my 3rd Shirley.......and 4th for that matter :grin:.

In the line of cookers they build they are 2nd to none and I've seen and/or cooked on lots. The welds, quality and attention to detail are just insane (I won't even bring up how awesome they are as human beings). They are not Jambos or champions or whatever you consider in that line, because they don't build those. But if or when they do I will be in line to buy one of those too before any other manufacturer that has been doing it for decades :clap2:.

They get a lot of press here for a good reason. You either get that reason or are part of the few that get annoyed by so many people liking and talking about them :thumb:.

I saw that message about their lead time increasing too. It's not just them. LSG's delivery time has increased over the couple years I have been following them. People are willing to wait for a great smoker at a great price, but agree, eventually that will start hurting business.

There is an ebb and flow in this business. When I ordered mine, it was like a 7 month wait. There are some that actually want a longer wait since they are saving up and paying over time. With Ross going full-time for the summer, I would suspect things may get easier and turn around times could shorten. Please don't hold me to that :)

I actually like the posts of Brethren singing the praises of their cookers. The posts about A versus B not so much. And those bashing cookers they don't own get put on my banned list.
No doubt in my mind they could care less, as do I. I'm just a visitor here and I need to remind myself at times to mind my manners- or deliberately not :))

I really need to do a Whirlpool Accubake versus BGE-Mini and Cornish game hens (with a baby silver bullet up its a-- er cavity

Last edited:
Shirley Wait

Hi All Just note about my Shirley Patio Model 24 x 36, cabinet doors.
Ordered in Dec 2015 delivered to me March 2016.
Couldn't be more happy with it, sure made me a much better smoker..
Worth every dollar
It ROCKS!!!
DanB

I got a 30x70 raised straight trailer I'd sell for 3k over retail :becky:. Would help to put a deposit down on my next one. Always planning my 3rd Shirley.......and 4th for that matter :grin:.

In the line of cookers they build they are 2nd to none and I've seen and/or cooked on lots. The welds, quality and attention to detail are just insane (I won't even bring up how awesome they are as human beings). They are not Jambos or champions or whatever you consider in that line, because they don't build those. But if or when they do I will be in line to buy one of those too before any other manufacturer that has been doing it for decades :clap2:.

They get a lot of press here for a good reason. You either get that reason or are part of the few that get annoyed by so many people liking and talking about them :thumb:.

I've owned one and will again someday, I wasn't saying their builds aren't worth it. I was just commenting on a trend. Jambo is another recognizable name, that I was using to make a point that supply and demand is creating some opportunist. Not really sure the point of your comments...

Great thread on the pluses of a Shirley. It forced me to google SF and after watching a partial video, understand why there is a wait. I applaud and support Americans who have a work ethic, and more importantly a business ethic. Hats off the SF and his family who have definitely earned a great reputation. (I once waited two years for a custom gunsmith to take my standard 1911 and transform it into a flawless, 100% functioning, quality tool for work. That man: Armand Swenson. Armand taught me that quality work ethic, and the time it takes for perfection.)

For me, I will promote and praise anyone who does a great job and who are fair to their customers. I speak with Tyler and Paul on a weekly basis and I try to pass the pulse of the company to the Brethren simply because they are so busy. These guys are about as personable as it gets as I am sure other folks who have dealt with them can attest to. There is never any bashing of other manufactures/fabricators by the Shirley's and that is a testament to their character. Personally I have had issues with a different fabricator both with quality and the way I was treated but will not reveal or discuss in a public forum them due to my relationship with Paul and Tyler. Like many others here, I enjoy looking at different cookers and discussing the amazing food that folks can cook on their rigs. At the end of the day, its all about personal preference. My preference just happens to be Shirley Fab.

Smoke on Brethren!

Being that I don't have my dream smoker yet I like the fact that these smoker specific threads continue to pop up. It helps those of us that will one day invest in a lifetime type of rig get to know more about these type of cookers from our fellow brethren. Any successful business will use any free tool they can to promote it so I don't think it should be an issue.

Shirley smokers look amazing and have a pretty nice price point based from what I've seen online and read. However, my questions is; how practical are these smokers? They all look pretty big "foot print" wise with the cooking capacity to match but is every Shirley owner cooking volume? competition? Where do you store these beasts? are they worth lighting up for "a slab" or a few pieces of chicken?

Shirley smokers look amazing and have a pretty nice price point based from what I've seen online and read. However, my questions is; how practical are these smokers? They all look pretty big "foot print" wise with the cooking capacity to match but is every Shirley owner cooking volume? competition? Where do you store these beasts? are they worth lighting up for "a slab" or a few pieces of chicken?

I have a 24x60 that I have no problem firing up for single slab of ribs or a 5# chicken. They are very effecient.

As far as the footprint goes, they have smaller models that are not much bigger than a gas grill.

Here is a question:

I would, I may be selling mine. It is not a cabinet but it is a big one w/ a warming box. It's an amazing smoker and I'd order another but circumstances regarding our competition team have changed.

Back