THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
We made the wagyu black porterhouse steak that we bought from Snake River Farms today. We used the same method that use for the fresh, never been frozen prime porterhouse steaks we buy at the local butcher which is to sear followed by an indirect cook to medium rare using the slow and sear.

The wagyu steak was very good but to be quite honest it wasn’t that much better than the prime grade porterhouses that I buy at the local butcher.

If you gave me a blind taste test I would definitely say the Wagyu steak was better, but if you asked me if it was worth spending between between 2 to 3 times the price for it, my answer would be no.

I have had the same experience, but using Duroc St. Louis ribs that I ordered specifically for competitions. I used them twice and they did not seem any better than the regular grocery store stuff. I can feel your disappointment.

My nearest meat market sells no roll NY Strips that I find hard to turn down.:doh:

Two of our grocery stores down here, Winn-Dixie and Save-a-Lot, sell some imported beef in addition to USDA Choice. Winn-Dixie puts a "Great Value" sticker on the imported beef and it just says "USDA inspected".

It's usually about $2 or $3 dollars per pound less than the choice. One butcher told me it alternates coming from either Mexico or Brazil.

I know one thing- it's for sure tougher to chew than choice. Not much marble at all in the steaks. When you see a rib eye that hardly has any fat...I'll pass. Nope.

We got a SRF 2 pound ribeye last month. These things require a reverse sear since they're so thick. Great marbling, and a good cut of meat. It was tasty, fat was delicious. But. I've had just as good a steak from our local HEB stores Again, it was a treat to say we ate a Wagyu steak, but not something we'll do again for a while.
We used to have a subscription to Crowd Cow and got a genuine Japanese A5 Wagyu strip steak once. By far, the most delicious steak we ever had. It was so rich and bursting with flavor we split it. If I get wagyu again, it's be one of those steaks.

Two of our grocery stores down here, Winn-Dixie and Save-a-Lot, sell some imported beef in addition to USDA Choice. Winn-Dixie puts a "Great Value" sticker on the imported beef and it just says "USDA inspected".

It's usually about $2 or $3 dollars per pound less than the choice. One butcher told me it alternates coming from either Mexico or Brazil.

I know one thing- it's for sure tougher to chew than choice. Not much marble at all in the steaks. When you see a rib eye that hardly has any fat...I'll pass. Nope.

The thing about the no roll steaks I mentioned is they are Good! After a good dry brining I can eat my weight in them.

Back