Wagyu Brisket at Costco

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
I was at the Costco in Roseville, CA yesterday and picked up a nice 13.5lb Prime brisket for $40. While I was there I noticed they also had several Wagyu briskets which I had never seen at any of my local Costco's before. They were going for $6.99/lb vs. the prime's for $2.99/lb. The marbling on the flats were definitely much nicer than the Prime's and I was tempted, but ultimately didn't want to spend more than twice the amount for a comparable 13lb'er, at least not this time.

Wondering if these are common in other areas. I talked to one of the employees and he told me they were just trying them out to see how they sold and that they weren't sure if they would keep stocking them.

I only recently started seeing the Prime again at $2.99 in North Jersey. I would probably be in the same boat as you, would be tempted but not sure if worth more than double the amount.

Although its good to see these Prime Briskets back in stock at this $2.99 price point, I am a bit disappointed with their Prime meat selection lately. The day I bought my two packers, they were the only Prime grade meat available.

I really miss those Prime Ribeye Caps, they haven't been stocked for 2 years now.

I only recently started seeing the Prime again at $2.99 in North Jersey. I would probably be in the same boat as you, would be tempted but not sure if worth more than double the amount.

Although its good to see these Prime Briskets back in stock at this $2.99 price point, I am a bit disappointed with their Prime meat selection lately. The day I bought my two packers, they were the only Prime grade meat available.

I really miss those Prime Ribeye Caps, they haven't been stocked for 2 years now.

Agreed that it's nice to see the Prime's down to $2.99/lb. I have noticed that I have to be much more selective though than in the past. They had probably 10 Primes out, and at least 6 out of the 10 had badly scalped fat caps, and almost all of their Primes were either 17lb.'s or larger, and many just had a really ugly overall shape that would have required too much trim to fix. There was only one that looked decent to me, and that's the 13.5 lb'er I bought.

Considering that Snake River Farms charges north of $11/pound I would be very tempted to buy one to try at the $6.99 price. YOLO they say. Is it worth the price? Maybe, maybe not.

They are worth the price. But there's nothing wrong with prime.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

April 11, West Springfield MA Costco had Prime, and Choice CAB, for $3.49 and $3.89 respectively. Didn't need any brisket, but would have taken the Prime.

I'd empty the cooler at that price - granted I don't think Costco prime are on the same level as even Creekstone let alone SRF - but they will produce a perfectly fine product for friends and family (not judges though) So if that's what you're aiming for I'd empty the cooler...

Back