Valentines / Birthday Dinner

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
It's Valentines Day and and also my lovely wife's birthday. Yep, I am doubly cursed and blessed at the same time. Dinner for two of American Kobe Ribeye Steaks, Bacon Wrapped Scallops, and Garlic Parmesan Hasselbeck Potatoes.

I special ordered the steaks from Snake River Farms. Ignore those three hunks of meat heaven on the right side. They are choice or better Tri-Tips that I just couldn't pass up since they were on sale.

IMG_3284_zpsnxwxros5.jpg

These are the 8 oz American Kobe Ribeye's. They look so cute and a little tiny since I am used to buying steaks that are close to a pound or bigger. I seasoned them with some SPOG and a little of Insuk's Korean Mystery Beef Powder. Vacuum sealed them and put them in the fridge for a couple days.

IMG_3289_zps7428xruj.jpg

I cut the bottom of the potatoes off so they would sit flatly, and then made slices 75% down the potatoes every 1/8th inch or so. (Pro Tip: Lay a chopstick or wooden spoon on either side of the potato to keep your cuts from going all the way through.) I then drizzled them with fresh garlic butter and sprinkled course salt and pepper on top.

IMG_3292_zpsbtowmdx3.jpg

I seasoned the scallops with Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning and then wrapped them with half a slice of bacon. I threw them on the smoker, somewhere around 250* with a little Mesquite wood.

IMG_3294_zpsffcqwllg.jpg

I removed the steaks from their resting place and got them to room temperature...

IMG_3296_zpslp1yiqck.jpg

I am doing a reverse sear of the steaks and I wanted to kiss them with a little of the smoke, so on the smoker with the scallops until the internal temperature got to about 110*.

IMG_3299_zpsuyxtzuol.jpg

Since the steaks and scallops were taking up the top shelf of the WSM, the potatoes were thrown onto the gasser at around 400*. I added some more garlic butter and sprinkled some grated Parmesan cheese on the potatoes later in the cook. They took about an hour. They probably could have gone 10 mins longer as they were slightly undercooked in the middle.

IMG_3300_zpsxqmihiff.jpg

Pulled the steaks from the smoker and slapped them on the upside down GrillGrates at high heat to get a nice sear on the outside. Pulled them when they got to about 130*.

IMG_3301_zpsfdrp81wf.jpg

Pulled the Scallops when the bacon was just cooked.

IMG_3302_zps44o0dadf.jpg

Plated...

IMG_3303_zpsefa7lt6m.jpg

Romantic dinner for two...

IMG_3304_zps5qjmyt7z.jpg

IMG_3305_zpsfrtzsnqv.jpg

Kind of a toss up between a baked potato (soft and tender inside) and french fries (crispy outer edges) with the buttery garlicky taste.

IMG_3306_zpsb7bdwdi1.jpg

Nice sear, good peppery crust, very juicy.

IMG_3307_zpsd6fbqpif.jpg

Nice little spice to the scallops. I still added a little Tabasco, as that's how I like them.

IMG_3308_zps16vgwix1.jpg

My steak was a perfect medium rare. It was very tender and juicy.

IMG_3309_zpspfmvjw91.jpg

A slightly out of focus picture of a slice of the steak. This meat was very rich, creamy, and beefy tasting. I cooked up all four steaks as I was sure I would want more than one piece, but after eating my piece and a little bit that Insuk wasn't going to finish, I was done.

IMG_3311_zpstcgrltqj.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope y'all had a great day!

Looks awesome.

I do taters the same way all the time.

As for Kobe steaks. They look great, but I raise my own so I will never try them.

Damn that looks good and I'm not the only one :grin:. My mother said I was born a sweetheart, but I dont know about that :shock:

Good lookin meal Terry! Is your wife's birthday today?

My son's was the 10th, my step-daughters is the 16th and mine is the 17th. We will be birthdayed out by the 17th....lol.

If you have any of those scallops left send me one. I'd like to try that! :mrgreen:

Thanks y'all...

Yeah, her birthday is actually February 14th. Joy... :mrgreen:

Thanks y'all.

Joe, can't wait to see you cook your SRF meat...

Back