Vacuum sealers

Do you use Weston bags, or rolls?

I'm leaning toward the 2300 pro.

The bags are so incredibly cheap, it isn't worth the effort to make your own bags from rolls. I do have some rolls, but I use them for large things like full racks of ribs or whole pork loins.

Weston will use any type of micro-channel bag, so you are not limited to just using Weston bags. I use both Weston bags when they are on sale at my local sporting goods store, otherwise I buy VacMaster bags at my local restaurant supply store. Pint are $11.28 per hundred, Quart are $16.00 per hundred, Gallon are $27.00 per hundred.

They are also food safe for use in boiling water....

Keep in mind that the Weston has a large footprint and is about 30 pounds. You just can't put it in a cabinet or a drawer, so storage can be an issue. I built a mini kitchen in the basement near my bar, I use it as a BBQ/food prep area, summer cooking to keep the house cool, canning, and for holiday cooking. My Weston sits covered on the counter next to my meat slicer...

The bags are so incredibly cheap, it isn't worth the effort to make your own bags from rolls. I do have some rolls, but I use them for large things like full racks of ribs or whole pork loins.

Weston will use any type of micro-channel bag, so you are not limited to just using Weston bags. I use both Weston bags when they are on sale at my local sporting goods store, otherwise I buy VacMaster bags at my local restaurant supply store. Pint are $11.28 per hundred, Quart are $16.00 per hundred, Gallon are $27.00 per hundred.

They are also food safe for use in boiling water....

Good deal. Well I put the 2300 in my cart on Amazon, I also put in a 100 count 8x12 bags. I think I'll look for a better deal on bags, since you say any brand will work.

Are there any bags to stay away from?

Close to going to check out, one or two more items.

Good deal. Well I put the 2300 in my cart on Amazon, I also put in a 100 count 8x12 bags. I think I'll look for a better deal on bags, since you say any brand will work.

Are there any bags to stay away from?

Close to going to check out, one or two more items.

As long as they are micro-channel they will work. I just make sure they are safe for use in boiling water.

Both Weston and VacMaster bags are 4ml thick so they are strong and durable.

http://www.equippers.com/search/results.asp?keywords=vacmaster+bags&search_submit=Search

Not sure if you seen this, but something to consider before you buy......

Keep in mind that the Weston has a large footprint (17" X 12") and is about 30 pounds. You just can't put it in a cabinet or a drawer, so storage can be an issue. I built a mini kitchen in the basement near my bar, I use it as a BBQ/food prep area, summer cooking to keep the house cool, canning, and for holiday cooking. My Weston sits covered on the counter next to my meat slicer...

Not sure if you seen this, but something to consider before you buy......

Keep in mind that the Weston has a large footprint (17" X 12") and is about 30 pounds. You just can't put it in a cabinet or a drawer, so storage can be an issue. I built a mini kitchen in the basement near my bar, I use it as a BBQ/food prep area, summer cooking to keep the house cool, canning, and for holiday cooking. My Weston sits covered on the counter next to my meat slicer...

Thanks for letting me know. I have a pretty good size kitchen area and the dinning room attached to the kitchen with plenty of storage space. I have a cart on wheels that has the mixer, meat grinder and slicer on it, I think I can fit it on there.
I bring those appliances up tp the counter as needed.

I like that, thats a good heavy duty machine!

Are there any bags out there I should stay away from?

I've never made jerky but have used my food saver for several years. I've been very happy with it but it's used almost exclusively when I sous vide. That actually is a pretty strong testament to their sealing ability considering I've had short ribs in the sous vide for 18 hours and have never had a seal fail.

That being said, it sucks pretty bad when I'm entertaining and need to sea a dozen bags because of a large group. It over heats too quick. And it's not able to easily do items that are liquid or have liquid. It can but you have to manually trigger the seal and it gets messy.

Given the choice, now, I'd not hesitate though to go the chamber route. I'd still have the food saver though for weird shapes or something that otherwise won't fit in the chamber.

The other thing to consider with the Weston, it has a vacuum port for attaching canisters for marinading.
http://www.westonsupply.com/Vacuum-Sealers-Vacuum-Sealer-Bags-s/81.htm

I'm glad you responded with that, I kept wanting to ask about that, thanks.

Not entirely true... Weston does not support the use of vacuum containers on the Pro 2100/2300, only with the cheaper unit - #65-0501.

However the good news is; there is a third party that makes a hose and adapter so you can use vacuum containers with the 2100/2300... Link to hose listed below...

http://www.provacuumsealers.com/pro-2300_replacement_parts.htm

Well ok. I guess I will have to keep a close eye out for the Weston vacuum police. Works fine for my use.
http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html

As long as it works that's all that matters...

I was only stating what is listed on the Weston WebSite (third item from bottom). I purchased a third party adapter.

If you have something else that works, then thanks for sharing the link so others can find it as well, and have something more accessible to them.

I believe the issue with using the Foodsaver mason jar adapter with the Weston 2300, there is no auto shut off (must be done manually) or vacuum gauge. It could be an issue if you let the sealer run for an extended length of time causing injury. I do not let the Weston pull vacuum for no more than ten seconds. A vacuum gauge could be added if one is concerned by incorporating a gauge from a vacuum hand pump like one in the picture. Should not be that difficult. The Foodsaver mason jar setup in the link below is the setup I own. Also, do not forget oxygen absorbers when putting up food for extended storage. Good luck.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-wide-mouth-sealer-regular-accessory/dp/B00DVOBHAO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437331285&sr=8-3&keywords=food+saver+mason+jar+sealer"]Amazon.com: FoodSaver Kit wide-mouth jar sealer, regular sealer, and accessory hose: Vacuum Sealers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21EmTNpS4-L.@@AMEPARAM@@21EmTNpS4-L[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Sorb-Oxygen-Absorbers-Storage-100-Pack/dp/B0028AG8RO"]Amazon.com - Oxy-Sorb Oxygen Absorbers for Food Storage, 100cc, 100-Pack - Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TOwtb7B7L.@@AMEPARAM@@51TOwtb7B7L[/ame]

Attachments

• Actron CP7830 Hand Vacuum Pump.jpg
    Actron CP7830 Hand Vacuum Pump.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 86
Does anyone have any experience with the Weston Harvest Guard # 65-1001-W?

Lowes has them on sale for a ridiculously low price thru 8/12. They also have Weston roll bags on sale cheap.

I've never made jerky but have used my food saver for several years. I've been very happy with it but it's used almost exclusively when I sous vide. That actually is a pretty strong testament to their sealing ability considering I've had short ribs in the sous vide for 18 hours and have never had a seal fail.

That being said, it sucks pretty bad when I'm entertaining and need to sea a dozen bags because of a large group. It over heats too quick. And it's not able to easily do items that are liquid or have liquid. It can but you have to manually trigger the seal and it gets messy.

Given the choice, now, I'd not hesitate though to go the chamber route. I'd still have the food saver though for weird shapes or something that otherwise won't fit in the chamber.

I do make a lot of jerky, but I also have a garden with a lot of beans, peppers and leafy vegetables I want to vac, so I'm sure it will get used a lot.
I think the weston will do the job, although I do like the chamber vacs, don't think I'll use it that much.

Not entirely true... Weston does not support the use of vacuum containers on the Pro 2100/2300, only with the cheaper unit - #65-0501.

However the good news is; there is a third party that makes a hose and adapter so you can use vacuum containers with the 2100/2300... Link to hose listed below...

http://www.provacuumsealers.com/pro-2300_replacement_parts.htm

Well ok. I guess I will have to keep a close eye out for the Weston vacuum police. Works fine for my use.

As long as it works that's all that matters...

I was only stating what is listed on the Weston WebSite (third item from bottom). I purchased a third party adapter.

If you have something else that works, then thanks for sharing the link so others can find it as well, and have something more accessible to them.

So I think what you both are saying is there is a place to use for the vacuum tube to be used on the pro 2300?
That is one thing I want, so I can van a container for jerky marinade.

Does anyone have any experience with the Weston Harvest Guard # 65-1001-W?

Lowes has them on sale for a ridiculously low price thru 8/12. They also have Weston roll bags on sale cheap.

How much was the sealer?

$93.00 on Amazon, only one review, it said kinda cheap built to small for his needs. he gave it a 2 outa 5. He up graded to the pro model.

I'm going that way soon, Lowes is about an hour away, so I'll plan other things around it, Harbor freight and Trader Joe is right next to it.

I want to get plenty of bags if the price is good

I believe the issue with using the Foodsaver mason jar adapter with the Weston 2300, there is no auto shut off (must be done manually) or vacuum gauge. It could be an issue if you let the sealer run for an extended length of time causing injury. I do not let the Weston pull vacuum for no more than ten seconds. A vacuum gauge could be added if one is concerned by incorporating a gauge from a vacuum hand pump like one in the picture. Should not be that difficult. The Foodsaver mason jar setup in the link below is the setup I own. Also, do not forget oxygen absorbers when putting up food for extended storage. Good luck.
Amazon.com: FoodSaver Kit wide-mouth jar sealer, regular sealer, and accessory hose: Vacuum Sealers: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com - Oxy-Sorb Oxygen Absorbers for Food Storage, 100cc, 100-Pack - Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Accessories

Added the absorbers to the cart, I'm sure I'll use them.

Back