Vacation Cook #1: Beef Broth

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
So I'm taking a chunk of vacation time and I've planned a few cooks while I'm not working. The first was to make some beef broth that I could use in some of the other cooks I am planning. I purchased 3 lbs of ox tails, 2 lbs of marrow bones, and 2 lbs of 80/20 hamburger (of which only 1 lb is used in the broth).

I fired up the Yoder to 400 degrees and watched as I found all of the leaks it has developed over the last 7 years:
Nt_x6AAo6e-PzREoSt-VwpsiHBcDoi9uRaknY8BsKd0W2g5lBFA4bW7H8VPhRTd8DD9nLUf4ba0_AXgb8Kc6jpnesOedT4UBUXr2EVPtuKV493iG365sl9FLCQkaEvqAxqBM51SHoQ=w640

Once the thick smoke switched over to normal, I put the raw bones and meat on the smoker:
wEYtU-PZxIWzouF116Cv49Ie1DK0gn5CeFhiGx5GJxj_hRdW40KmkAHpxr69yReEYLqk-gLZk1ci_2ZGzueAulROG3QogFKbZx129QdHnpeBHXBJ1UyvbUNKx-R2epSDmvhBFis8ow=w640

After 20 minutes of roasting:
7UCH9Td0tdzeXPInhZu2oJj3nYjS2-5yLiR2burswjiSRcFRxwQ02bR9tLg1tJY7OGD5WztNV-uJIvjfLSv60M6SvhJaM2ydAZoUrh2K0Xz1AnzYmGYH3g5dDbsCGxTiabL--qGKZQ=w640

Pulled after 40 minutes:
a9lrUfs8EsORLAMkb6EWWM0fiSVZ_GR6LxqINIBhkLoCCRQiLIILMmGjyV2uj-qNLgWiNVcs0ClnC8atD3ndHoMsAyI091LLBtFKRSkKUOmCIbnSL-UnS2_DtE5r-9roT0UQGFCdzw=w640

Meat and bones into the pressure cooker:
3rm-fcybhyxjLRBjSadrW-FgFpaWCThWw4m6cGBCrpoCRNfe9v4v4EEPCl9mPvH9czt9zLOFs1JbDkt0kZkvCxPx5ru6scIa7dDdDM0a9LGoALnH3mfEkaNiKhQmCeBOgl8w52o4yA=w640

Water added to the pressure cooker:
lyPLKB-AeqoqRI2UTKtWMfmcm1uQTYIhqReNyUDFhj6rWAR2NJqdAM6JNmdThbfpBP0rfhCBJHfD8NbV5PBMwxd5tLy-m_N08_xYeZQktm4uUca3io4om-yvm316VwELR4DFN_SF-Q=w640

Final results:
lny5crGeSrwL5aQTbG1_7THUkfndMYaXudEQfzBPoZGcgce2jJqXcVVS49BVRAQFTIGnbsci4QgVYGNn-zebp4AXDkjbAS2m6voSPcqmmBN8s_dcskTO9ZragBJzZsCjdkidEWJPXA=w640

The results were horrible. This broth tasted like water more than beef. I'm not sure what I did wrong as I followed the directions from this video on YouTube (by Brian Lagerstrom), but I did the roasting on the Yoder and ran it for 40 minutes since the ox tails weren't roasted enough when I checked at 20 minutes. I did freeze the results and may try to fix it at some point, but for now, I'll be using store bought stock for my upcoming cooks.

NCGrimbo,

I have made homemade French Onion soup for Christmas Eve for >10 years.

I roast ~10lbs of shank bones about 2-3 days out. I let them cool, then put them in a pot of COLD water. I put two fire bricks on a low gas stove and then set the stockpot on top of them. I usually add 1/2-1 bottle of red wine to the pot. In a perfect world, it will reach the point where a bubble floats up every 3-5 seconds. It is the lowest possible simmer. I let this go for 36-48 hours. THIS is how you extract the most flavor and gelatin.

Once it is done, I remove all of the bones and debris. Then I strain it and reduce it by 50%-75%. You know it's good if the stock jells at room temp.

I watched your linked video. I think the pressure cooker is a mistake. It might work for chicken, but for beef I think you need a slow extraction. Additionally, I wouldn't smoke the bones or add ground meat. I believe there is a technical difference between "stock" made with bones and "broth" made with meat.

I braise my onions in butter and deglaze them with brandy or madeira wine. I top them with toasted bread and Emmenthaler cheese., then broil.

Good times...

1st, how much water was originally added to the pressure cooker? 2nd, how long did you pressure cook? Generally if you add a quart of water, to a 4lb chunk of meat, you should end up with 2 quarts. Also, i pressure cook that amount of meat for at least 90 minutes for stock.

NCGrimbo,
I roast ~10lbs of shank bones about 2-3 days out. I let them cool, then put them in a pot of COLD water. I put two fire bricks on a low gas stove and then set the stockpot on top of them. I usually add 1/2-1 bottle of red wine to the pot. In a perfect world, it will reach the point where a bubble floats up every 3-5 seconds. It is the lowest possible simmer. I let this go for 36-48 hours. THIS is how you extract the most flavor and gelatin.

Once it is done, I remove all of the bones and debris. Then I strain it and reduce it by 50%-75%. You know it's good if the stock jells at room temp.

I watched your linked video. I think the pressure cooker is a mistake. It might work for chicken, but for beef I think you need a slow extraction. Additionally, I wouldn't smoke the bones or add ground meat. I believe there is a technical difference between "stock" made with bones and "broth" made with meat.
Good times...

+1 on this
I usually do about 5 lbs total shank and "soup bones" including both bones and meat, and whatever else I have plus vegetables. After roasting, I cook on stove top at low simmer (temp 205-210 F) for 24 hours. I get about 2.5 quarts yield. I am working on a video of this but its not finished yet so here are some pics.

P1040901.jpg

P1040906.jpg

P1040918.jpg

P1040921.jpg

P1040929.jpg

What's done is done.

Just cheat on your fix it idea by adding some Better Than Bouillon beef base.

The resulting broth may be surprisingly good!

Back