Any differences in soup stocks?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
When making soups and stews, if you need broth or stock what is your choice? Swanson's, College Inn, homemade? Minor's base or Better Than Bullion? Something else?

I once had a mission to develop the world's best French Onion Soup recipe and the one I dialed in on had you simmering stock for 8 hours. Roasted beef marrow bones, vegetables, stew beef yada yada. A lot of work and honestly it wasn't any better than the canned stuff.

What's your favorite?

I really enjoy the variety that BTB offers, and it's available everywhere. I do tend to stick to their low sodium line for my people, but when I did a 'head to head' with the Sams club version- the high sodium Sams had a much richer flavor.

Our favorite is the one that uses Greenburg Smoked Turkey carcasses. The recipe is on their website - pretty basic with the usual veggies and herb but the smokiness of the carcass will elevate a lot of soups/stews. We typically do a 1/4 substitute - 2 cups stock to 6 cups water when the recipe calls for 8 cups.

Of course it helps if you know someone that's tossing out their carcass since the turkeys themselves are pricey......

Kitchen Basics makes decent stocks including low salt versions...chicken, beef, turkey, even veggie. Still, the best stock is made at home.

Big fan of the book Nourishing Traditions. Great chicken stock recipe been using for years. I make it in big batches if going to the trouble. After the first couple hours skimming scum off the top, put on very low heat (natural gas) for 24 hours with a couple whole chickens. Place nearby sells frozen chicken feet so I include a pound or two.

Made a batch one time when the timing didn't work out. After 24 hours takes time for the pot to cool off so I left it on the stove with the burner off and went to work. Pot was still warm when I got home and had other things to do so turned the burner back on low for another 12-15 hours, adding a little water. Turned it off the next morning and went to work again. Process repeated until the weekend when I had time to take care of the stuff. Discarded the chicken & veggies and strained it a few times using cheesecloth on the last.

Pot didn't leave the stovetop for almost a week. Stock was clear with a deep, rich color. Quite gelatinous when cooled to room temp before putting in the freezer. Best chicken stock I ever made.

I find that bone broth at the store yields a much better flavor than stock.

I also sometime add Better Than Bullion to the broth for a more intense flavor.

Minor's has a much wider variety of bases not found anywhere else; IE: Seafood, Pork, ect.

I also saw the other day that BTB now has a caramelized onion product along with several other new products.

Maylar,

I used to make homemade French Onion Soup every year for Christmas Eve. I have fallen off lately. Back then, I roasted ~10 lbs of been bones with celery, carrot, and onions. I used to put fire bricks on the gas stove and set a stock pot on top. I would barely simmer the pot for 3 days with a bottle of red wine. Then I would strain it and reduce it by 2/3rds.
When I was done I had a beef stock that would jell at room temp. Just delicious.
I still prefer homemade beef, chicken, and shrimp stocks, but better than bullion is ok by me.

I keep Kitchen Basics stock and BTB all the time. Back when I had a Sam's card I always kept the Tones version of BTB. Looks like they now sell it under the Member's Mark brand.

I like Minor's Beef Base and Au Jus, I can't really find those locally anywhere and have to order them online, otherwise I'd probably use more of Minor's products. I typically use Better Than Bullion beef/chicken/vegetable purchased at Costco, as it's the cheapest place I've found it. I just adjust the mix ratio for more or less intense flavor depending on what I need it for.

... I once had a mission to develop the world's best French Onion Soup recipe and the one I dialed in on had you simmering stock for 8 hours. Roasted beef marrow bones, vegetables, stew beef yada yada. A lot of work and honestly it wasn't any better than the canned stuff. ...
My wife makes stock like that but it only takes an hour in the Instant Pot. Quite good stuff too. She is also a fan of the "Better than ... " products. I think we have three or four flavors in the fridge right now.

I really liked the Knorr Homestyle concentrated stock gel tubs. They were in my opinion the closest to a real beef or chicken stock. Its a shame they were discontinued in the US.
Now i just settle for Minors

I do like to make my own but that isn't always possible. The btb products are pretty good. I like that you can make what you need and not have a cabinet full of stock boxes.

I tried some Better Than yesterday at someone's house and was very impressed.

Back