THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junebo

I was hoping to pick the minds of the Brethren on using drippings for/from a pulled pork cook. I am already using an aluminum tray with some water. If I am only cooking at 275 I'm reluctant to use the caught drippings. Should they be boiled down first ? What do you do for this ?
All info and input appreciated.
Thanks !

I use the drippings all the time. put them in a bowl or jar and put the jar in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. The fat should separate and solidify at the top. Skim off the fat and you have some tasty goodness left over. I like to mix it back into my pulled pork.

If you think there's a lot of water in it you can boil off the water in a few minutes. The longer you reduce it, the more intense it will be.

This is a timely question as I had wondered the same.

Saturday, I did as others said, de-greased, then boiled off some water, and put in fridge.

Sunday night, used dripping to flavor a cream gravy, which I poured over the pulled pork. Note, had to use butter to make roux for making gravy, since I had de-greased.

I was struck at how different the pork tasted with cream gravy over it, versus a KC-type sauce, or a carolina mustard sauce. Quite tasty, but "milder" than with other sauces.

I use the drippings all the time. put them in a bowl or jar and put the jar in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. The fat should separate and solidify at the top. Skim off the fat and you have some tasty goodness left over. I like to mix it back into my pulled pork.

If you think there's a lot of water in it you can boil off the water in a few minutes. The longer you reduce it, the more intense it will be.
+1

I like to mix it back in with the pulled pork too.

+2

Totally safe to use the drippings. I always make a finishing sauce for my pork with it. Just mix some into your favorite sauce with some apple cider vinegar and toss it. I also mix in a little extra rub as well.

I must be the odd man out here... I toss the drippings, after 12 hours or so in the smoker my drip pan is mostly fat. But I do use the foil juices: de-fatted and mixed into a sauce, or de-fatted and drizzled back over the pulled meat.

I allow the drippings to hit my difussor plate and condensate creating natural moisture within the cook chamber. This keeps the meat moist during the cook and without the need of a water pan.

I freeze them then use them as "stock" in stews. Brisket drippings will elevate your chili to the next level.

Back