Upgrade from WSM to LSG? or Klose? or Mgrills?

Thanks to all who responded. I ordered the Klose today. I will provide an update and review once I get it. I'm hoping this is in the next 5-6 weeks. For those who are curious, I ordered the 1/2' firebox, but no other upgrades. I hope to may a mods of my own after I learn how it works.

What made you pick that over the m36?

I own a Klose, paid a good amt. for it and paid a lot for shipping. No regrets at all - not one little bit! One of the best purchases I have ever made by far.

We've had so many great times around that thing and have fed so many folks with it. Built like a tank and I woudn't be surprised if my sons will be cooking on it after I'm gone.

I've had good luck with hitting the firebox with either Pam or Vegalene after cooks as it cools down. 10 years of moderate use and no signifant rust. Good to hit the hinges too.

As I'm sure you'll hear from David Klose - get those ashes out every time! I always go for the next day, if I can't for some reason, ASAP after that. Ash is the enemy.

Looking forward to seeing some pix!

I own a Klose, paid a good amt. for it and paid a lot for shipping. No regrets at all - not one little bit! One of the best purchases I have ever made by far.

We've had so many great times around that thing and have fed so many folks with it. Built like a tank and I woudn't be surprised if my sons will be cooking on it after I'm gone.

I've had good luck with hitting the firebox with either Pam or Vegalene after cooks as it cools down. 10 years of moderate use and no signifant rust. Good to hit the hinges too.

As I'm sure you'll hear from David Klose - get those ashes out every time! I always go for the next day, if I can't for some reason, ASAP after that. Ash is the enemy.

Looking forward to seeing some pix!

Which one do you have?

Wish there was some good pics or videos of them.

ECB - I made a spreadsheet of features and compared that to my wants and needs. In the end both had my primary asks: firebox, adjustable height grill, searing ability; ability to use water pan if desired, ability for zones, ability to fit small pig. So its at this point I began splitting hairs. I asked Travis for a few modifications and he said no including charcoal access doors, which come standard on the Klose. The shelving on the M36 seemed unusually small. And although it probably does not matter, the fact that the Klose was welded, rather than bolted and weighed almost double made me feel like I was getting a better deal. With the 1/2" firebox upgrade, the cost was the same, so it was not a price issue. I did not upgrade for the stainless grates which come standard on the M36.

GTR - David tried selling me on the stainless ash pans, but it seemed like something I could manage without. Should I have opted for them?

In the end I'm sure I would have been happy with either one. I will say, I had several conversations with David and found them quite enjoyable. He has no limit to the number of topics he can fit in 30 minutes, that's for sure. Pics to follow....in a while.

Thanks to all who responded. I ordered the Klose today. I will provide an update and review once I get it. I'm hoping this is in the next 5-6 weeks. For those who are curious, I ordered the 1/2' firebox, but no other upgrades. I hope to may a mods of my own after I learn how it works.

I’d get the sliding shelves and a single door.

I’d get the sliding shelves and a single door.

I'd add the ball valve drain to that - not sure if it's standard or not, but it's necessary esp. when doing a whole pig. Firebox cooking grate is good to have as well - I don't use it super often, but it does come in real handy sometimes.

Hi all, wrote out a beautiful monologue responding to all your input, but it did not through when I clicked reply. It was long so I'll have to rewrite. I intend to get the ball valve but I did not order from. Maybe eventually, I'll upgrade to stainless grates too. David, pushed hard on the stainless ash pans. I thought maybe, I'd line the standard ones with foil. I assumed the fire box grate came with it.

ECB - I made a spreadsheet of features and compared that to my wants and needs. In the end both had my primary asks: firebox, adjustable height grill, searing ability; ability to use water pan if desired, ability for zones, ability to fit small pig. So its at this point I began splitting hairs. I asked Travis for a few modifications and he said no including charcoal access doors, which come standard on the Klose. The shelving on the M36 seemed unusually small. And although it probably does not matter, the fact that the Klose was welded, rather than bolted and weighed almost double made me feel like I was getting a better deal. With the 1/2" firebox upgrade, the cost was the same, so it was not a price issue. I did not upgrade for the stainless grates which come standard on the M36.

GTR - David tried selling me on the stainless ash pans, but it seemed like something I could manage without. Should I have opted for them?

In the end I'm sure I would have been happy with either one. I will say, I had several conversations with David and found them quite enjoyable. He has no limit to the number of topics he can fit in 30 minutes, that's for sure. Pics to follow....in a while.
Got ya. Wish klose had a walk around video showing all the features and qualities.

Travis videos on the m1 and m36 features are great.

I'm in a similar dilemma though. Think I've decided to go with one of these over a kamado.

Got ya. Wish klose had a walk around video showing all the features and qualities.

Travis videos on the m1 and m36 features are great.

I'm in a similar dilemma though. Think I've decided to go with one of these over a kamado.

I'll make a video. Full walk through, but it will be about a month. I asked David about marketing and videos, etc. He said he hasn't had to market in 35 years. Still, I think he's missing out. ECB - Would that be Hell, MI?

I'll make a video. Full walk through, but it will be about a month. I asked David about marketing and videos, etc. He said he hasn't had to market in 35 years. Still, I think he's missing out. ECB - Would that be Hell, MI?

I get that he doesn't "need" videos to sell them, but sure would be nice lol

I will say, having the charcoal doors so you can easily add coal is a nice touch. Wish the M-grills had that.

Hell=AZ lol

I don't own one but one of the LSG cabinet smokers with the warming box. Offset smoker and vertical smoker all in one when you take out the griddle. Hanging ribs and chicken��

Has the klose smoker arrived yet? Someone's selling a 20x42 that's local to me

Has not arrived yet. It's getting painted this week. Should ship out next week. Close ups to follow. But in meantime here's what I can share:

JK-Pit-Blaze-1-e1593712180378.jpg

Back