Untrimmed Tri-Tip

Thankfully my base commissary sells untrimmed Tri Tip, it is/was my second favorite cut to grill after Ribeye's, I say was because I was grilling it once a week and the better half ask that I give it a break for awhile :shocked: :tape:

Might just pick one up next week and sneak in a Tri Tip cook :loco: :biggrin1:

Thankfully my base commissary sells untrimmed Tri Tip, it is/was my second favorite cut to grill after Ribeye's, I say was because I was grilling it once a week and the better half ask that I give it a break for awhile :shocked: :tape:

Might just pick one up next week and sneak in a Tri Tip cook :loco: :biggrin1:

Tri Tip is waaaaaay underrated Kev! Ribeye then Tri Tip.

I haven't tried tri-tip yet on the smoker but from the looks of it, it could be treated just like brisket. Is that the case or are there differences?

Most folks here, prefer it cooked to medium rare, as do I. However, you can cook it like a brisket. We have a few family members who will bring me TT, and ask that i cook it like a brisket. Just bring it up to probe tender (around 200°), let rest and slice across the grain.

Matt

I cook tri tip with fat cap on most of the time. Requires a bit more attention so you don't burn it, but worth it for the flavor IMO. I let it rest fat cap up, then trim the whole thing off when I start cutting. It comes off very easily that way. Less bark, but more flavor. It's a trade off.

Since the early 1980's, I've almost always done them untrimmed....here, Choice grade, on sale $2.99 - 3.49 / lb.

You can do them reverse or sear first....rare all the way to well, if they are done gently......

6262011039.jpg

I inject a lot of the time to add in some juiciness & a particular flavoring.......

AfferMemorialsJuly2012066.jpg

Done at extra low heat, all nite long (w/ injection) for pulled beef....

MemorialsJuly2012043-1.jpg

Peeled, so the fat doesn't explode & deep fried....

P1010027_1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

Lotsa ways to skin this cat.............

I have been getting the untrimmed, trim while leaving a little soft fat, lightly season and put most of the trimmed fat into a vac bag with the tri-tip. Sous Vide @ 134° for around 3-6 hours. Kind of a Confit tri-tip. Sear over coals and Bobs yer Uncle. I also throw some of the fat on the grill for a little rendered fat chef snack. :thumb:

That's a great price for untrimmed Josh and worth it at that price. As for the Ralphs tri tips, they're comparable to Costco prime. I've consistently been getting some awesome TT's from there and at less than $5/lb I can't complain.

Here pics of last time I bought from Ralphs. Can't beat the marbling of this choice at sub $5lb IMO. Dave(SmokEat) made a good point about the marbling on TT"s is exposed where you have a very good idea of what you're getting.

Made burgers out of this one :behindsofa: They make KILLER burgers.

1kMzAPBh.jpg

fwVeIEOh.jpg

vEfxtNDh.jpg

I have learned to look around in the tri-tips whether I want one or not. Because every now and then you will find a gem and believe me a really good tri tip is better than a ribeye.

20160305_165421.jpg

20160305_165506.jpg

Attachments

• 20160305_201534.jpg
    20160305_201534.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 67
I've bought untrimmed and trimmed. For me, all I buy now is trimmed. The price difference isn't worth the extra trim work to me. Being in CA, tri-tip is readily available. I am blessed to live/work near a Costco. Best TT's and prices to be had :)

Last week reverse seared TT's... YUMMO!!

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 65
Out here we get them both trimmed and untrimmed. I always go for trimmed because at the end untrimmed after trimming costs you more.

For instance, Albertson's has untrimmed for $3.99/lb and Ralphs (Kroger) has trimmed for $4.77/lb. No brainer there especially since the Ralphs choice tri tips blow away the competition. I even prefer Ralphs choice over Costco prime.
here in the center of the bbq universe (central OHIO) krogers sells tri tip $8.00lb cut into thin strips R.D. sells for $3.85lb you just halve to buy 20lb. trim the fat cap sear cook to mid. rare enjoy:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have learned to look around in the tri-tips whether I want one or not. Because every now and then you will find a gem and believe me a really good tri tip is better than a ribeye.

View attachment 136031

View attachment 136032

Me too! As a matter of fact I have to "clear" the meat dept even if I'm there to just buy milk or something.

That's an amazing looking Tri Tip. :thumb: That's what I mean.

Nice score Mike. I've never been inside a Stater Bros. supermarket. They're way too far from me. They carry Kruse hams which I absolutely love and the only other market that brings them sometimes for the holidays is Albertson's.

E5BB32BA-8AF5-4BA1-AA12-52ADA19E49B0_zpsbol4j535.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Here you go Evil-g, coals getting hot ready to season it up and reverse sear with my homemade vortex on the Jumbo Joe.

This is a great thread. Tri-tips just became available to me here in Maine and after I trimmed my first one I wondered if maybe I shouldn't have. Sounds like I did okay. It was $6/lb.

I have been getting the untrimmed, trim while leaving a little soft fat, lightly season and put most of the trimmed fat into a vac bag with the tri-tip. Sous Vide @ 134° for around 3-6 hours. Kind of a Confit tri-tip. Sear over coals and Bobs yer Uncle.

That's a cool idea throwing the trimmed fat into the sousvide bag to cook with the tritip. I'll give that a try soon! Thx.

I also throw some of the fat on the grill for a little rendered fat chef snack. :thumb:

Man, you are talking my language there, Brother!

Back