First tri-tip

Bury Me In Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AD
Never cooked a tri-tip before, read a lot about them here so recently ordered a couple from Wild Fork and did one today on the Mak. The wifey likes her beef done a little more than I prefer, but this was still juicy and tender and quite delicious! The smoked veggies and potatoes were great as well.

Attachments

• Tri1.jpg
    Tri1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Tri2.jpg
    Tri2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Tri3.jpg
    Tri3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 124
The grain changes direction somewhere between the small end and the larger end, if you don't change your cutting cross grain you will end up with some tougher than necessary slices.
Ed

Never cooked a tri-tip before, read a lot about them here so recently ordered a couple from Wild Fork and did one today on the Mak. The wifey likes her beef done a little more than I prefer, but this was still juicy and tender and quite delicious! The smoked veggies and potatoes were great as well.

Looks great!!

How did you marinate yours?

I found this to be a good place I work from and tweak it here and there based on how I feel that day:

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/tri-tip-marinade/

I did mine sort of a reverse sear on my BGE...turned out nice.

But I'm of the thought, that Tri-Tip may be better served much more done that I usually like (medium rare).
As that mine was less chewy and actually seemed to taste a bit better the next day warmed up and more fully cooked.

But here's what mine looked like.

Attachments

• IMG_9252.jpg
    IMG_9252.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 71
Looks great!!

How did you marinate yours?

I found this to be a good place I work from and tweak it here and there based on how I feel that day:

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/tri-tip-marinade/

I did mine sort of a reverse sear on my BGE...turned out nice.

But I'm of the thought, that Tri-Tip may be better served much more done that I usually like (medium rare).
As that mine was less chewy and actually seemed to taste a bit better the next day warmed up and more fully cooked.

But here's what mine looked like.

Thank you!

I used a beef rub on mine from Big Poppa Smokers. I put the rub on Friday night but due to rain on Saturday I couldn't cook it until Sunday, so it took on a lot of flavor!

Yours looks great too but a little too rare for my liking!

Back