Got home from work today and the UDS was still holding a temp around 150 22 hrs after I fired it up yesterday evening. Got another trial run going now. Got the temp regulated and set in at 250 much quicker than I did yesterday.

Learning quickly that I need a good thermometer for the UDS.

Got a good burn on the uds today. Tomorrow it's on to removing all the soot and sanding it down. I'm ready to start cooking on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 654
Most people said sanding would suffice. I'm not planning on using primer... Hopefully I'm not making a mistake.

If your not going for a show quality finish, and don't mind repainting in a few years then you are fine with no primer. I always use a self etching primer, 3 light coats, then sand with 400 grit. Then apply top coat. That just helps the paint stick really good, and gives a super smooth finish. BUt what you are doing is fine. Im just a perfectionist.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Seeking any leads on a food grade 85 gal or 110 gal drum in Riverside, CA - La Sierra/Norco/Corona area. Also need expanded metal for the fire basket.

I know there are probably sources buried in this thread but am currently only up to page 167 :oops:

Any help is greatly appreciated! Seeking any leads on a food grade 85 gal or 110 gal drum in Riverside, CA - La Sierra/Norco/Corona area. Also need expanded metal for the fire basket.

I know there are probably sources buried in this thread but am currently only up to page 167 :oops:

Best thing to do is check google first for any big drum dealers. Next check craigslist for anyone trying to get rid of one. I ended up getting mine for free. Good luck with your search.

Did my first cook on the UDS today. Did some spare ribs. UDS held its temp like a champ.

Ribs had a great taste but were overcooked. They were falling apart when I took them off the grate. Got to get some more hrs under my belt with the UDS.

I got to finally spray the drum. I still need to sand the inside. Do I need to just ensure that the pink liner that was there before is no longer present or do I need to sand it back to silver steel?

My sander is to big for the inside so this is going to be a real mare!

Attached some pics of progress so far.

Just for reference, anyone looking to paint their drum soon, it took me 2 x 400ml Rust-oleum cans for the 1st coat. Thus I will need to order another 2 for a second coat.

Attachments

• photo 1(3).jpg
    photo 1(3).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 600
  • photo 2(3).jpg
    photo 2(3).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 599
  • photo 3(2).jpg
    photo 3(2).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 598
  • photo 4(1).jpg
    photo 4(1).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 598
Good to know. I was curious how many cans I would need. I'll plan on 4 ... Hopefully more it not needed. Are you doing clear coat on your drum?

Anyone in the UK know of a cheap source of stainless steel expanded metal?

I am getting silly, silly prices from all builders merchants I have called :mad2:

Thought I should add mine to the growing family! I just built two. If you're in the UK, BES plumbing supplies is where i got all the intake parts. You can see what i used in my thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194418

I didn't do anything fancy other than silicone probe grommets but will probably add some side handles, maybe wheels, and a white stencilled design. I also can't decide whether to add a weber lid or not.

Thanks for all the information.

Just Built My First UDS

Just built My first UDS. I put casters on it, but not sure they're worth the trouble. First cook was also my first fatty. Here's the Pr0n:
01. Jimmy Dean Sausage
02. Caramelized onion
03. Italian 5 cheese blend
04. Fire-roasted jalapenos, peeled and seeded
05. Bacon!
06. A rolled Fatty
07. Going to the smoker.
08. A smoked Fatty
09. Inside the Fatty
10. My new Ugly Drum Smoker

Attachments

• Fatty 09.jpg