THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got home from work today and the UDS was still holding a temp around 150 22 hrs after I fired it up yesterday evening. Got another trial run going now. Got the temp regulated and set in at 250 much quicker than I did yesterday.

Learning quickly that I need a good thermometer for the UDS.

Got a good burn on the uds today. Tomorrow it's on to removing all the soot and sanding it down. I'm ready to start cooking on it.

Attachments

Most people said sanding would suffice. I'm not planning on using primer... Hopefully I'm not making a mistake.

If your not going for a show quality finish, and don't mind repainting in a few years then you are fine with no primer. I always use a self etching primer, 3 light coats, then sand with 400 grit. Then apply top coat. That just helps the paint stick really good, and gives a super smooth finish. BUt what you are doing is fine. Im just a perfectionist.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Seeking any leads on a food grade 85 gal or 110 gal drum in Riverside, CA - La Sierra/Norco/Corona area. Also need expanded metal for the fire basket.

I know there are probably sources buried in this thread but am currently only up to page 167 :oops:

Any help is greatly appreciated! Seeking any leads on a food grade 85 gal or 110 gal drum in Riverside, CA - La Sierra/Norco/Corona area. Also need expanded metal for the fire basket.

I know there are probably sources buried in this thread but am currently only up to page 167 :oops:

Best thing to do is check google first for any big drum dealers. Next check craigslist for anyone trying to get rid of one. I ended up getting mine for free. Good luck with your search.

Did my first cook on the UDS today. Did some spare ribs. UDS held its temp like a champ.

Ribs had a great taste but were overcooked. They were falling apart when I took them off the grate. Got to get some more hrs under my belt with the UDS.

I got to finally spray the drum. I still need to sand the inside. Do I need to just ensure that the pink liner that was there before is no longer present or do I need to sand it back to silver steel?

My sander is to big for the inside so this is going to be a real mare!

Attached some pics of progress so far.

Just for reference, anyone looking to paint their drum soon, it took me 2 x 400ml Rust-oleum cans for the 1st coat. Thus I will need to order another 2 for a second coat.

Attachments

Good to know. I was curious how many cans I would need. I'll plan on 4 ... Hopefully more it not needed. Are you doing clear coat on your drum?

Anyone in the UK know of a cheap source of stainless steel expanded metal?

I am getting silly, silly prices from all builders merchants I have called :mad2:

Thought I should add mine to the growing family! I just built two. If you're in the UK, BES plumbing supplies is where i got all the intake parts. You can see what i used in my thread here. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194418

I didn't do anything fancy other than silicone probe grommets but will probably add some side handles, maybe wheels, and a white stencilled design. I also can't decide whether to add a weber lid or not.

Thanks for all the information.

Just Built My First UDS

Just built My first UDS. I put casters on it, but not sure they're worth the trouble. First cook was also my first fatty. Here's the Pr0n:
01. Jimmy Dean Sausage
02. Caramelized onion
03. Italian 5 cheese blend
04. Fire-roasted jalapenos, peeled and seeded
05. Bacon!
06. A rolled Fatty
07. Going to the smoker.
08. A smoked Fatty
09. Inside the Fatty
10. My new Ugly Drum Smoker

Attachments

Back