UDS redux

ak6960

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I am fixing to revisit the UDS for this brisket cook. I have the title to a 14 pound choice packer that was marked down from $127.00 to the reasonable price of $63.00. Trimmed off 3 lbs, that’s being rendered down so not actually wasted. I have salted it well and into the fridge for the 24 hour dry brine. Packed date was 7/2 and has wet aged in the fridge since. I would typically fire up the BGE with some Royal oak lump with a few chunks of hickory and cook at 250 -300 until probe tender with finish temp most often in 200 plus range. I have not used my old drum in several years. I am going to use a repurposed Webber kettle lid to replace the flat drum lid I have used i the past. I seem to remember that the flat lid would collect condensate and would then drip down and on the meat. I am thinking that the dome shape will cause any condensate to run down the dome and not drip? It will be interesting to revisit drum flavor in comparison to the BGE. What says the the UDS faithful regarding dome vs flat lid?

I prefer the flat lid. it fits like it came on the drum- because it did.

There are some weber domes that fit some drums very well - and that's a wonderful thing. if it does not fit well, it can be sort of a pain to mate the 2 up. I'm not sure dripping condensation is a legit concern. Most people rock the dome because it makes using 2 grates a better proposition since you can put your top rack really close to the rim.

I too fired up the "Eds" (Eds' drum smoker) last weekend after a several year ignore.
Still a fine 275* cooker making tasty, smoky meats!
However the Weber performer sitting by the back door will still get most the calls.
Ed

Back