UDS (Pit Barrel) vs. WSM?

I have to admit, Ive seen some pretty cool UDS's, but for me I'm really liking my 22.5 WSM! I've about "pimped" it to the max! I think they're just down right sexy!

Lol! Now open the hatch Dave AND LET ME IN!!!!

OK I've read thread after thread on the subject to try and decide what my smoker will be. I like the idea of building a UDS just not sure about time and the ability to find a drum. I like weber products and really like the look of the WSMs. I've decided either will work for me....... I will not buy a WSM new so for me it'll be either 18.5 or 22 WSM that I find on Craigslist OR, a UDS if I find time and a drum before I find a WSM.
But if I do get a WSM, I'm gonna pimp it out like Smokesignalsfromtx, that's awesome! :clap2:

I went with PBC mainly because I was still pretty new to low and slow smoking, and I liked the "set it and forget it" simplicity. Since getting this smoker I have done everything from brisket to bologna on it, with some pretty awesome results.

Since you have already tackled some pretty challenging meats (like brisket) on your kettle, you may be able to have an easier time with the WSM than a complete novice.

While I love my PBC, I feel I am ready to graduate to a WSM with a Pitmaster IQ110 and take on a bigger challenge.

That looks awesome! Did you make those shelves? I've seen a lot of mods but that may be the best I've seen in a long time.

Thank you! And yes! I've been looking at several shelf mods and glad I decided on my own. They are lighter than some of the others would be which is important to keep it from being too clumsy. I have one other mod to do on the base to add 2 more casters to sure it up then she's done. Here's another view with the lid closed and from the side.

I'm thinking those on the black beauty BPS would be the epitome of SEXY! :grin:

Well, I guess it would give you a place to put your drink while you change the Hefty bag....

:laugh::clap2::bow::whoo::bolt:

Just kidding! Like I said, I've seen some pretty cool UDS's and yours is one! :thumb:

Dang I just read through all the pages. And I'm still the only person that says, save the money on building a UDS or buying a PBC/WSM and learn how to unlock the potential to your UDS.

You have one of the most versatile tools in outdoor cooking with a Weber Kettle. Practice new techniques and see if it works for you. If not, then spend the money on a dedicated smoker.

Cars are just frames with wheels yet as you can see there's vast differences between them. :wacko:

Seriously though Weber makes good products but the smokers are designed to do one thing which is smoke because their bread and butter is in grills. No way they'd ever design one to do both because they'd be cutting their own sales.

I can make a fire basket to sit on the 2nd level of my Wsm and sear with it ! :) I could even make it a nest and have a hook and all :)

I have to admit, Ive seen some pretty cool UDS's, but for me I'm really liking my 22.5 WSM! I've about "pimped" it to the max! I think they're just down right sexy!

DEDC3D03-9611-4CB7-B6E3-15AAF9C24414_zpsbgfi9det.jpg

Lol! Now open the hatch Dave AND LET ME IN!!!!

That's awesome.. can i see more hinge photos? I want.

I have had a 22.5" do 20hrs did a 16hr butt at 235 then just allowed it to keep going just for kicks. It could have kept going but I had to put it away. Granted this was in ideal conditions, full charcoal basket (kbb), no wind, very hot day, night temps were above 75F, and i didnt have a water pan.

Yeah I say ditch the deep water pan of the new WSM--can't pile the charcoal high enough. Right now I am using an old WSM pan which is the depth of a smokey joe lid (well it is a smokey joe lid without the holes).

I want to find a very flat and shallow pan to use as a diffuser (I don't use water), so I can pile the briquettes even higher if I want, say with an expanded metal insert in the fire basket.

Dang I just read through all the pages. And I'm still the only person that says, save the money on building a UDS or buying a PBC/WSM and learn how to unlock the potential to your UDS.

You have one of the most versatile tools in outdoor cooking with a Weber Kettle. Practice new techniques and see if it works for you. If not, then spend the money on a dedicated smoker.

I love how my WSM doesn't rust :) I see people get them for $30-125 allt he time, used from craigslist--finish lasts forever... which is as cheap or cheaper than building a UDS that is rust resistant.

Don't tell me this thread is dying ALREADY!?!

Find a used WSM on CL. I paid $50 and $100 for my 18.5s

If later you wish it was a PBC, buy some horseshoes and tack them on, drill some holes and stick rebar through them, and remove the water pan so the fat drips on the coals and gives your meat that magical flavor found only in a PBC. :bow:

All I have is a UDS. I ate some pretty good ribs off it last night. I also ate some pretty good steaks and creamcheese, shrimp stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapenos off my Weber grill Saturday night. I got probably $200 in my drum, and that's if my time is only worth maybe a buck an hour. I'm still very new to the actual "smoking"(low and slow) of food but I've mastered my grill(until I saw awaa's postings). I started building my UDS before I found this site. I settled on it strictly because of cost. Even if I had more $$, I think I still would have built it.

Back