UDS (Pit Barrel) vs. WSM?

Oh, come on. You can do any of these things on a WSM. You might need to use a couple of bricks or cinder blocks, but it's not like you're having to build a smoker or anything. Don't act like one is significantly better than the other. They're not.

Kinda like the saying goes....you just had to be there. lol

If you've used a BP then no explanation is necessary....If you haven't then no explanation will suffice.

They are just so different it's like comparing apples to grapefruits.

Yep. I don't have a 22.5", but I've had my 18.5" run for 26 hours on a full ring of hardwood briquettes, and I shut it down. It could have run longer.

AND my 18 will do 16 hours @ 250 or + with water in the pan and I could have run longer too.

This is tame. Still waiting for the first shot to be taken. My money is on whoever finishes their 12 pack first.:tape:

Please...allow me:

A PBC is nothing but an overpriced yuppy wannabe smoker for folks who can't figure out how to control temps with a real smoker, like a UDS or WSM.

:mmph:

There. I said it. Felt darn good, too. :nod:

****DISCLAIMER****

The above is merely intended as humorous parody, and not meant to be taken seriously in any way, shape, or form. Therefore, I am not liable for any and all potential debris that hits the fan in subsequent posts, and the aftermath of such potential debris hitting folks who did not read said disclaimer thoroughly. I would also state here that I am a proud PBC and UDSx2 owner.

You really need to include the proper tools to build the UDS if someone doesn't have them, and then factor in the time as well. I'll be that once that is included the price difference is minimal.

I was comparing the BPS kit to a WSM which the only tools/supplies needed are a drill and a screwdriver. Drilling the holes, weed burning the exterior, painting, and installing the kit takes about 3-6 hours. I enjoyed putting it together but can see where others might not and just want to bring home a WSM and fire up the basket.

Building cost are minimal but I can see someone's time being the deciding factor. With the cost of the BPS kit, drum, weed burner, paint, and a Saturday afternoon, I spent $210. Regardless of the which is better argument, do what makes you happy and get cookin'.

Wow! I didn't realize I pulled the pin on the proverbial BBQ grenade and rolled it down the hallway! Even funnier is that 16Adams saw this one coming hours in advance. Keep the comments rolling - one thing's for sure, there's clearly no answer forthcoming!

You're fine. It's a fair question. Some of the guys feel very strongly about their cooker, which is great, but sometimes that turns into a my-cooker-is-better-than-your-cooker argument. It's happened before and it will happen again.

There are very few on here who have owned or cooked on all three, so you have to sort through the responses. I currently own two WSMs and a PBC and have had a UDS in the past. They are all good cookers and each has it's merits, despite what some of the guys want you to believe :-D

You're fine. It's a fair question. Some of the guys feel very strongly about their cooker, which is great, but sometimes that turns into a my-cooker-is-better-than-your-cooker argument. It's happened before and it will happen again.

There are very few on here who have owned or cooked on all three, so you have to sort through the responses. I currently own two WSMs and a PBC and have had a UDS in the past. They are all good cookers and each has it's merits, despite what some of the guys want you to believe :-D

Why spoil a good thread with a reasoned and thoughtful post?

I did an 18 hour cook once without a reload. Put her out then cause I was done. There were still coals left, maybe an hours worth, maybe two, I dunno. Either way, the longest I have needed to cook, she has done it. All that matters.

What it boils down to is that my WSM is the best, because it is mine... :wink:

Ok, y'alls grills are ok to...

Why spoil a good thread with a reasoned and thoughtful post?

It's in my job description :-D

Remember, this is Q-Talk...

*ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Steering the thread back on topic is a lot easier than scrubbing the off topic posts.

:thumb:

I don't know if mine is better than everybody's but I know it's better than yours.:grin:

haha ok its better NOW...but come late fall i win when i pickup my 24x60 SF cabinet trailer model :-D

i will also be building a BPS kit for the reasons stated by FWISMOKER. the ability to have a movable charcoal basket and thick steel walls...and its half the cost of the wsm

Mod Note:

Apparently guiding the thread back on topic is lost on you guys. This is not Woodpile. Keep this on topic or it will be scrubbed.

You beat me to it. But I'll add...

This is my UDS. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My UDS is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My UDS, without me, is useless. Without my UDS, I am useless. I must fire my UDS true. I must cook greater than my enemy who is using a gasser. I must smoke him before he smokes me. I will.
My UDS and I know that what counts in a cook is not the coals we fire, the noise of our hungry wives, nor the thin blue smoke we make. We know that it is the BBQ that counts. We will smoke.
My UDS is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brethren. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its fire and its temps. I will keep my UDS clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.
Before God, I swear this creed. My UDS and I are the defenders of my neighborhood. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is mine and there is no enemy, but peace and fatties for all!

When I first discovered this forum I was looking for the merits of a WSM vs a PBC to see which one is right for me as a noob. After tons of reading I think they both seem like great options and it's a matter of HOW you want to cook.

I come from a lot of guitar forums and people go nuts and get passionate about small details when the end of the day the end result is what's important. I don't see what all the hate is over the PBC it's a cool product. I'm going with whichever I can get first!

Back