First batch!

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
First batch of Biltong is finishing and it is AWESOME!!!

We tried a piece at 45% and it was ok, didn’t like the texture. Pulled another piece at 50% and it was AMAZING! The texture was fantastic and the amount of beefy flavor from 45% to 50% was crazy! Got a couple more pieces that will come off at 50% today and then I’m going to let one go to 55% and compare.

Really simple to do, but I was nervous about it even though it is a process several hundred years old, it just seems odd to soak some meat and then hang it a room temperature :shocked:

FAAAAR superior to jerky and you control the ingredients (have ya looked at jerky ingredients) and the process!

DO IT!

I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch and I settled on this guy because I liked him and his process best. There are a lot of videos where people just hang it in the tree, I figure I’ll try that this spring once I’ve got a few more batches under my belt.

I’ve got a new fan coming today for my box, when I get it on I’ll post pics of it.

Whatcha use for a Biltong box? Been meaning to try this for a few years, just been lazy.

First batch of Biltong is finishing and it is AWESOME!!!

We tried a piece at 45% and it was ok, didn’t like the texture. Pulled another piece at 50% and it was AMAZING! The texture was fantastic and the amount of beefy flavor from 45% to 50% was crazy! Got a couple more pieces that will come off at 50% today and then I’m going to let one go to 55% and compare.

Really simple to do, but I was nervous about it even though it is a process several hundred years old, it just seems odd to soak some meat and then hang it a room temperature :shocked:

FAAAAR superior to jerky and you control the ingredients (have ya looked at jerky ingredients) and the process!

Looks Good Jeremy. I will have to give this a try. Just gotta add that if you make your own jerky, you control the ingredients!

With 1/3 coriander, seems to be a cross between pastrami and jerky.

Two things I like.

Waiting to see your Biltong machine!

I am intrigued.
I watched the video, fairly simple process.

Some questions popped into my noggin.
What cut of beef did you use, and after the curing process, do you slice and vac pack?
Store at room temperature or freeze?

I’ve eaten store bought biltong a few times and really like it. This looks like a really easy process, so I’m also looking forward to seeing your setup. Thanks for the post and link, Jeremy!

Some questions popped into my noggin.
What cut of beef did you use, and after the curing process, do you slice and vac pack?
Store at room temperature or freeze?

I used eye of round and left the fat, some trim it.

Storage? Suppose to be good at room temp for months, in the fridge, good for years. The pieces we aren’t cutting on are just in a ziplock to stop moisture loss and in the pantry.

Y’all ready for this high tech chit?

The little fan we had, the container was on sale at th’ walmarts, dowel rods at th’ walmarts, all for less than $5. The hooks are from a piece of romex that I stripped and used because the wires are vinyl coated. I need to make some stainless hooks at some point, cause pinkies out you know.

Now, things I will be changing. I’ve got a little USB fan coming tomorrow that I will drill a couple holes in the center of the lid to draw evenly. I have been rotating the box every 12 hours to try to even out the draft. I am also going to try a heating pad under the box for a little more warmth. I keep the shop at 65° in the winter and this last piece I’m drying to 55% is now on day 6, a little higher temp will speed that up. I will also wait to add seasoning until after it comes out of the salt and liquid soak to see if the seasoning isn’t more even.

I’m going to start another batch tomorrow that I can post step by step pics of if anyone wants.

Oh, BTW Duke, you are welcome :mrgreen:

They still sell incandescent lights by you? What kind of heating pad did you get? One of those to heat lizards & snakes in a fish tank/terrarium? That's what I was looking at.

Back