Turkey: Wrapped in foil, baked in pans, swimming in Butter, Spatchcock or Fried?

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
All of those methods work, but none of them are employed in my (non)patented method of cooking turkey.

After some trial and error over the years, my method is simple.

Beer can method, hold the can.

I have a 14” WSM that gets used once or twice a year. Almost always for smoking turkey. Amazingly, I’ve been able to fit as big as a 26lb’er in there so far.

I use the water pan, filled with water and fill the coal basket with briquettes and wood chunks (typically cherry).
Using the minion method, I lay 1/2 chimney of hot coals on top of the basket and open all the vents.

95d45f22da80d497dbc6f37559b7d7b7.jpg

c3b065c392f0e833a204363f3b57c46d.jpg

I place my dry brined turkey on a vertical roaster (I use the inside form of my wife’s Bundt cake pan) and tuck the wingtips in slots I cut behind the legs.

Then set it inside my WSM on the bottom rack, right above water pan.

ea46b1ff85db5710881f4f0f5bf969ad.jpg

I run the WSM wide open (~325F) for 3-4 hours. I remove the turkey when it’s 150F in the breast.
Due to cooking it in this manner, the thighs are typically 170+ at this point.

598588903e5352b7ec475be5572094d1.jpg

It is not the only way to smoke turkey, but it is the way I do it.

5a9944235ee13f42ca90c6b6546886f8.jpg

Looks excellent. This year I'm doing the turkey in my Pit Boss. First time in a pellet cooker and using a roasting pan. My sister is hosting but I'm cooking the turkey. If I were staying home the Shirley would be on call but convenience is key this year. I still have to transport the bird across town. Happy early Thanksgiving, John.

Looks excellent. This year I'm doing the turkey in my Pit Boss. First time in a pellet cooker and using a roasting pan. My sister is hosting but I'm cooking the turkey. If I were staying home the Shirley would be on call but convenience is key this year. I still have to transport the bird across town. Happy early Thanksgiving, John.

I’ve heard some great things about the Pit Boss, I bet it will be delicious.

Happy early Thanksgiving to you as well!

Very cool method. How long do you typically brine? I've normally shot for the three day mark and always been happy, but was really impressed how juicy the one breast was today after only four hours. Makes me wonder if there is some type of alien tech in Harvest Brine that makes that possible...

Love this shot. I'm sure it's just me, but the neck looks like it has an angry face yelling. :shock:

Very cool method. How long do you typically brine? I've normally shot for the three day mark and always been happy, but was really impressed how juicy the one breast was today after only four hours. Makes me wonder if there is some type of alien tech in Harvest Brine that makes that possible...

Love this shot. I'm sure it's just me, but the neck looks like it has an angry face yelling. :shock:

Only Alien tech can lead to such an angry face on that neck.

I shoot for 2-3 hours per pound on a whole Turkey, but I’ve noticed it works much quicker on turkey parts.

Lookin good. You need to get after that patent.

Best turkey I ever had was cooked on the Weber spinner. Of course that limits size to around 12 pounds. Maybe up to 16. But that's plenty of turkey for a guy that really doesn't love turkey.

Lookin good. You need to get after that patent.

Best turkey I ever had was cooked on the Weber spinner. Of course that limits size to around 12 pounds. Maybe up to 16. But that's plenty of turkey for a guy that really doesn't love turkey.

I did my first turkey on the Weber kettle rotisserie back around 2014 and I’ve done at least one for Thanksgiving every year since, even if we go somewhere else to eat, because they come out that good. It’s my favorite poultry method in general, so no surprise there.

Quick question, John.

How much Harvest Brine to use on one of those Butterball "solutioned" turkeys??

Just use the normal amount??

Back