BaconUp Deep Fried Turkey

flem0061

Knows what a fatty is.
I used the search, honest! I'm in charge of the turkey(s) this Thanksgiving... I originally proposed to deep fry one since it's been over 20 years since I have. My son's Boy Scout troop does this during their camps and it's always a hit with all that attend. My mother and my in-laws are foodies so I asked them what type of oil I should use. Peanut Oil @ $65/3.5-gallon jug; Clear Fry Oil (Soy) @ $35/3.5-gallon jug (both have smoke point over 450); Soy & Peanut Blend @ $40/3-gallon jug (what the troop uses).

Then my brother-in-law sends me this video of a guy frying his turkey in a tub or two of BaconUp bacon grease (who cares the price, it's bacon!). I've read that bacon grease or lard produces the best crispy skin so my questions are:
1. Have you done this and how did it turn out?
2. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of this to other oil?
3. Bacon grease has a low smoke point at 374 degrees (assuming no bits that'll burn), would I just need to keep my oil temp below 370 for best results? How many minutes per pound would I estimate for being done?
4. If using bacon grease is just plain silly, what's the best oil?
5. Bonus question: No Brine, Wet Brine, Dry Brine, Inject?

Well I have never fried a turkey in bacon fat. I don't brine either wet or dry, I inject with a creole butter that I get in a jar from the grocery store. Pure peanut oil is best but cost wise a blend works quite well also. I get my oil from Sams Club, it's cheaper there than anywhere else.

If I was to use a low smoke point oil I'd probably fry at 325°F.

It sounds like I might be the first to try this on the forum. Not the first time I've experimented on the family... Can't wait to hide the containers and tell the family I've been saving up my bacon grease all year for this!

I'd be real interested in hearing more about this. I hope you do and let us know how it turns out. It sounds good.

It also says three and a half minutes per pound.

I think the video is produced by Bass Pro/Cabelas, while the documentation on the bucket is by BaconUp. Hence the differences.

Regardless, OP now has two answers to his question - either of which will likely work just fine.

Yeah, I was just pointing out the difference..

If you want to save some $s, lard is probably the cheapest if purchased from a Mexican store, ask for Manteca. This is what authentic carnitas is cooked in. Keep in mind I have never done a fried turkey so this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, possibly less.

I'm sure the turkey will be great. Save enough to make a batch of popcorn. The bacon grease lends a wonderful flavor to the finished product.

Let us know how the turkey turns out.

Pron alert below, but first my overall impression:
The bacon grease was both easier to use and harder to use than I imagined.

Easier to use because it was really easy to scoop out of the container. It also seemed to maintain the temperature really well. When we dropped the turkey breasts in, the temp only dropped by about 50*F. I seem to recall that in prior years, the temp has dropped closer to 100*F.

Harder to use because I was really worried about going over the 380*F limit specified by BaconUp. I'm fairly sure we did move past it occasionally, which may have contributed to the dark color of the turkey, as seen below.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has!

First scoop of the bacon grease. It had sat in the cold garage all night, so I was a little worried it was going to be hard as a rock. Ended up being super easy to scoop out!

I say "super easy", but what ended up being the easiest way to get the grease out was with my hand and then using the spatula to get the final bits off of the wall.

This was our method of frying breasts. Tied them to a fry cage and then shoved a standard turkey stand through the middle to keep them upright. Worked perfectly. However, we did have to add some peanut oil to bring the oil level up so that the breasts would be completely submerged. This fry pot is very large.

We also smoked lamb shanks.

The bacon grease is much darker than I anticpated. I didn't get a post-frying picture of the breasts, but the skin turned very dark - nearly black. I was worried it was going to taste burnt and charred. Not the case at all.

Here's a pic of the sliced turkey. You can see some of the blackened skin.

We also friend ribs that were leftover from a catering job a few weeks back.

And re-heated crab legs that were leftover from New Year's Eve last year. We used the smoker to reheat them, which provided a nice extra flavor!

And finally, a pic of the sliced lamb.

A word of warning: don't accidentally kick over the container. It will be impossible to clean off.

Back