Tuning Plates. Getting Even(ish) Temps on an Offset

I'd probally build a convection plate with varying hole sizes.

Smitty, I have a Horizon style convection plate in my Bell Fab offset. The temps are very even, about 5-10* overall. The strange thing is that the FB end is the cooler. There is a down-turned baffle at the FB and the conv plate is welded to that. I have thought of adding one more line of holes at the FB end and just see if the temps will even get closer. But, I really don't worry about it.

This is a good thread, especially for a newbie. Keep up the good work.

Smitty, I have a Horizon style convection plate in my Bell Fab offset. The temps are very even, about 5-10* overall. The strange thing is that the FB end is the cooler. There is a down-turned baffle at the FB and the conv plate is welded to that. I have thought of adding one more line of holes at the FB end and just see if the temps will even get closer. But, I really don't worry about it.

This is a good thread, especially for a newbie. Keep up the good work.

Do you fine the convection plate to restrict airflow to much? What do you use as a heat source?

I agree on having to play with the plates a bit but once you get them adjusted they hold very well. I just did a 9 hour cook yesterday. First time with the tuning plates and my temp at the meat location held steady and was only 5 - 7 degrees difference from end to end. I did notice it took longer to come up to temp but once it was there it held steady. Very happy with the outcome especially since I was always chasing temps due to the nature of my smoker. It is an old brinkman SNP pro. Modded and running much better now.

Oops my picture didn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 31
Just remember when tuning your cooker, do NOT do so while having anything in the cooking chamber. Do not attempt to tune it at higher temperatures. 250* is a good place to do your tuning. Once at temp, wait 2 hours to get the steel hot before you start checking your side to side temps. If the measurements are not where you want them make whatever adjustments you think are needed and wait another 45 minutes before checking again, so on and so forth. Tuning can be a little tedious. Plus, the goal is to get relatively even temps side to side, not exact. Here is the fun part: when you do put your meats, etc in the cooking chamber, the air flow is changed and you have cold meat, both of which will mess up your "even temps" for a period of time anyway! So..... just have fun, relax and enjoy your hobby. If you want to cook in totally even temps all the time, use your kitchen oven.

Back