Trying something different. HDD Cupcake Chicken Thighs (Pron in progress)

Well, sorry to be a Debbie Downer (what or who is that?) I just do not think there is really any flavor difference in the Cupcake Chicken method vs just cooking thighs indirectly on my BGE. Yes, they look cool due to the shape. That can be a neat conversation piece with others when entertaining but.....

I am sure that the Myron Mixons recipe in his book is really tasty. I have tasted his cooking in Memphis in May.....he's good...really good. For me, one who marinates my chicken and then gives it a rub.....the cupcake method with the broth, etc just does not really create a better product at the end. Sure thought it would but....

Well, sorry to be a Debbie Downer (what or who is that?) I just do not think there is really any flavor difference in the Cupcake Chicken method vs just cooking thighs indirectly on my BGE. Yes, they look cool due to the shape. That can be a neat conversation piece with others when entertaining but.....

I am sure that the Myron Mixons recipe in his book is really tasty. I have tasted his cooking in Memphis in May.....he's good...really good. For me, one who marinates my chicken and then gives it a rub.....the cupcake method with the broth, etc just does not really create a better product at the end. Sure thought it would but....

Yeah, I don't think this is supposed to do anything for the flavor, at least I didn't notice anything. It's more for an even cook and the presentation. Like I said, special occasion maybe, normal meal, I'll smoke or grill it up like normal with the bone in.

Do you really need to drill holes and how much of the chicken stock help. Just askin

I think you need the holes to let some of the chicken fat out, otherwise you end up doing a confit of the chicken. I think the stock helps the humid environment, as the chicken already tastes like, well, chicken.

I think this method would lend really well though to smoking the chicken stuffed with something. Mushrooms and onions, bell pepper and onions. maybe ham. Would cheese last in there at those temps for the time needed to finish it?

I think this method would lend really well though to smoking the chicken stuffed with something. Mushrooms and onions, bell pepper and onions. maybe ham. Would cheese last in there at those temps for the time needed to finish it?

There really is not going to be much room to stuff anything within the thighs since you are tucking the meat into the muffin pans. I suppose it is worth a try but I am not sure the outcome would be much different than just stuffing the chicken and cooking on the grill, etc.

I agree. Look at the picture above when I first put them in the pans upside down. Not much room left over and these are large muffin tins.

Back