THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
I've always made a "24 hour" style coleslaw, vinegar, sugar, oil heated and poured over cabbage and onions with lots of celery seed.

Yesterday I smoked a couple of briskets, a fattie, Hatch ABTs and some sausage, made the best batch of beans I've ever made, and potato salad, which are all pretty standard when I que, but I did something different for my slaw.

I played around and made a Chipotle coleslaw. The dressing isn't as sweet as my normal slaw dressing, and has some mayo in it (though it's still a thin dressing) and a little smokey kick from Chipotle peppers. Plus some pickled sweet peppers.

CVpwePh.jpg

I put a couple of tablespoons of chopped chipotles in adobo sauce in the blender with some apple cider vinegar and blended, then I spooned in a bit of mayo, tossed in a little salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar and mixed it all up. I poured it in a pot, heated it to a boil and poured it over my shredded cabbage (green and purple) and carrots, mixed, then put it in a ziploc in the fridge overnight, turning the bag over every now and then.

Once I had the slaw in the fridge I quick pickled some sweet mini peppers, the orange, yellow and red ones that come in bags in the produce section. I cut off the stem end of the peppers, cut out the seeds and cut the peppers into rings about 1/8 - 3/16 thick. I put the peppers in jars with a little fresh garlic and a couple of cardamom pods, then mixed 1 part rice wine vinegar to 2 parts water with a very little sugar and salt, brought it to a boil and poured it over the peppers. I let them set overnight as well.

When it was just about time to serve I pulled out the slaw, drained off the extra dressing, drained the pickled sweet peppers and mixed them in. In was really good, getting the crunch of a sweet pepper every now and then was really nice.

That sounds like an awesome spin on a classic. I bet that was delicious and had a pretty complex flavor profile.

Back