Tried a new slaw recipe

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
I've always made a "24 hour" style coleslaw, vinegar, sugar, oil heated and poured over cabbage and onions with lots of celery seed.

Yesterday I smoked a couple of briskets, a fattie, Hatch ABTs and some sausage, made the best batch of beans I've ever made, and potato salad, which are all pretty standard when I que, but I did something different for my slaw.

I played around and made a Chipotle coleslaw. The dressing isn't as sweet as my normal slaw dressing, and has some mayo in it (though it's still a thin dressing) and a little smokey kick from Chipotle peppers. Plus some pickled sweet peppers.

CVpwePh.jpg

I put a couple of tablespoons of chopped chipotles in adobo sauce in the blender with some apple cider vinegar and blended, then I spooned in a bit of mayo, tossed in a little salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar and mixed it all up. I poured it in a pot, heated it to a boil and poured it over my shredded cabbage (green and purple) and carrots, mixed, then put it in a ziploc in the fridge overnight, turning the bag over every now and then.

Once I had the slaw in the fridge I quick pickled some sweet mini peppers, the orange, yellow and red ones that come in bags in the produce section. I cut off the stem end of the peppers, cut out the seeds and cut the peppers into rings about 1/8 - 3/16 thick. I put the peppers in jars with a little fresh garlic and a couple of cardamom pods, then mixed 1 part rice wine vinegar to 2 parts water with a very little sugar and salt, brought it to a boil and poured it over the peppers. I let them set overnight as well.

When it was just about time to serve I pulled out the slaw, drained off the extra dressing, drained the pickled sweet peppers and mixed them in. In was really good, getting the crunch of a sweet pepper every now and then was really nice.

That sounds like an awesome spin on a classic. I bet that was delicious and had a pretty complex flavor profile.

Back